Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. New member to the forum. Wrote to the administrator about how to post generally, but he must be away for the weekend.

Have a '70 FBird with a 402 BB that I will probably restore. Have to redo the exhaust, nothing outrageous (shorty headers, Crane cam, Edelbrock Torqurer II, 3310 Holley). But right now I have another car (Supra MkIII turbo, modified) which will ultimately be forced to NJ QQ plates (now has recent collector plates, not grandfathered).

What I need is a good reading on how the cops hassle QQ plate cars, especially those just 25 years old. I understand they are tougher on imports than domestics. I know that there are a lot of guys with modified Novas around with QQ plates. Please just drop me a PM if you would. Copying [email protected] would be appreciated.

I've always liked Chevrolet products like sleeper Novas and the Z28 Camaro due to engines offered. But I bought the FBird new in 1970 because of looks, knowing swap a Chevy engine in, done in 1974.

Thanks. Looking forward to information. Have a good weekend.

BernieK

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
Welcome to the board!

I've had my QQ plates since I got my Nova in June 2002. I have driven it however and whenever I want and never gotten hassled. Granted I never used it as a daily driver, but I have used it to drive to work on nice days on dozens of occasions.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Should not be a problem at all. There are shows all over jersey just about every night of the week, and we have a drag strip open in NJ somewhere 6 days a week. Cops really really suck here but I have not seen much in the way of "qq hostility" I've had them on my 69 since it was qq ready and never really got harasses cause of the qq's.

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
Am I missing something? What are QQ plates????????
This is off the NJ DMV web site (I guess I better put that front license plate back on the front of it too):

Historic vehicles
General inspections are not required for historic or collector vehicles. To be classified as a "historic vehicle" it must be:

* At least 25 years old
* Specially registered and display QQ plates (1945 and earlier models are required to display one plate on the rear of the vehicle. 1946 and newer models will be issued two plates and both plates must be displayed, one on the front and one on the back of the vehicle).

Collector vehicles
To be classified as a "collector vehicle" you need to apply when you register and make sure that the vehicle:

* Is not registered as a "historic vehicle" or a "street rod"
* Is not driven more than 3,000 miles per year
* Is insured as a limited use "collector vehicle"

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
Welcome to the site!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts