Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell if there's anything missing from these 67 seats? I think the springs look pretty darn good, but I can't tell if there are any missing. I've never seen a seat stripped before. The only thing I notice missing is the tension spring for the slide lever.

Thanks!!!

·
Premium Member
618 Posts
Need to take the backs off and check the lock mechanism. I've seen them hacked up. How do they look from the bottom?
I take it they are the correct tracks.
Do you have the headrest?

·
Premium Member
4,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
They don't have the correct tracks, but I do have a set of correct tracks. I do not have headrests.

I can't tell exactly how they look behind the backs, I'm just going from the pics I have of them. The seats are only about 30 minutes away from me, the guy is out of town until Sunday night, but I'm going to head over there when he gets back.

Here's the last two pics that I have of them that kinda show the bottoms:

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
Just so you know those seats are prob 67 s all 66 and older nova buckets did not have the locking mechanism to fold the seat forward, they look like a good score as they are getting scarce

·
Registered
931 Posts
seats

looks like a bad deal I will take them off your hands!??!?!:turn::turn:

·
Premium Member
4,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just so you know those seats are prob 67 s all 66 and older nova buckets did not have the locking mechanism to fold the seat forward, they look like a good score as they are getting scarce
Thanks, I know they are 67 seats. Even though my username is 66 BADBOY, I'm doing a 67 front end on the car, so these will match fine.

looks like a bad deal I will take them off your hands!??!?!:turn::turn:
HA!! Thanks Chad!! How about a trade for one of those "bad deal" LS2 swap cars? LOL!!

·
Premium Member
4,125 Posts
Since those come with no covers on them at all, you're going to need listing wire to put new covers on. The listing goes into the channels sewn into the covers and provides a place for the hog rings to grab when pulling them down to the seat springs. My guess is that you're going to need four wires per seat and each will be somewhere between 15 and 18 inches long. Most upholstery supply places will have listing you can buy.

·
Premium Member
4,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It looks like there are some wires that are just sitting across the springs. They are not springs, and they seem to have some kind of paper or burlap coating on them. I wonder if they are the listing wires leftover after the upholstery was taken off? Not really sure.

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
The listing wires are required in the new seat covers. They go into a channel sewn into the new covers and hog ring to the wire on the spring that line up. Get ready for a big job. Doing seat covers for the first time was a challenge for me and I had the old ones to look at and see how things were attached. I have some pictures if you need them. I also replaced springs and cushions. When I removed the springs I sanded and painted the frames. They came out great !! Good luck !!

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
seats

rbace,

I'm going to tackle the same job as badboy is about to undertake. Could you send some pics to [email protected]. Also, anyone have a set of tracks to sell or know where I can get a set?

thanks,

Barry

·
Premium Member
7,437 Posts
It looks like there are some wires that are just sitting across the springs. They are not springs, and they seem to have some kind of paper or burlap coating on them. I wonder if they are the listing wires leftover after the upholstery was taken off? Not really sure.
Those are the listing wires..... Coathanger wire will work great as a replacement if you are missing any of them......:yes:

·
Premium Member
4,125 Posts
rbace,

I'm going to tackle the same job as badboy is about to undertake. Could you send some pics to [email protected]. Also, anyone have a set of tracks to sell or know where I can get a set?

thanks,

Barry
In the "Best Of Interior" There is/was a thread on Do It Yourself. In that thread I posted a link to a step by step seat upholstery how to. I can't seem to find it, but I have it in Word format, if I can find it.

Chuck

·
Premium Member
7,437 Posts
Just did a pair from a '63..... Never did it before., and YES - It was alot of work., but well worth saving the money by doing them myself......:yes:
I would highly recommend a professional set of hog ring pliers....They made the job of hog ringing ALOT easier.... These were $70., but included more than enough hog rings to do two bucket seats....

http://www.eastwood.com/master-uphoistery-pliers-kit-with-300-hog-rings.html

·
Premium Member
4,125 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,125 Posts
Chuck,

that would be great if you can find it. thanks
Found it! Email sent! I'm in Santa Rosa BTW... so, it's not impossible to touch bases when you're ready to do your seats.

Chuck

·
Premium Member
4,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the info guys!!

I've done a back seat and front bench in my 72 Chevelle I owned back in 93. Hog ring pliers are a must!! The only difference was that the foam was fine on those seats. Not sure how the difference will be here.

The only question I have, is how does the listing wire hog ring to the upholstery? Wouldn't the foam be in the way because it's between the springs and upholstery material?

Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
7,437 Posts
It doesn't....The listing wire slides into cloth "tubes" on the underside of the seat cover....The foam has "slots" in it.... (that I sliced open more on mine) Then the seat cover (with the listing wire inserted inside) gets pushed down through the slots in the foam., and you hog ring it to the wire (or springs) from underneath.....
(Or - actually easier if you turn the seat upside down.....)

Keep in mind that I'm refering to 1st Gen bucket seats/covers.....66-67 may be slightly different....Perhaps someone else will have more info on 66-67 seat covers.,etc......:yes:

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
Hey Chuck I would like to say thanks for that write up. I read it several times before doing mine and several times while doing the one !!! Still have one to go. I can see how it will be much easier after doing it several times. I used the heavy duty hog ring pliers from classic industries and I think they were great. Not to difficult at all. I also did not use silicone spray as was suggested, tried it but didn't like it. Had the bright idea to use baby power instead !!! Worked like a charm, hope there wont be any future problems.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts