Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here's a pic of how I did my PS pump with the serp set up. I'll get you some part numbers; for now we'll use this thread as space for pictures and infomation.

The high pressure side.... take out the metric fitting and replace it with a standard one from any GM PS pump and then you can use standard Russel GM PS pump fittings. The metric adapter will drive you crazy looking for an adapter. The low pressure side... either a compression to AN like I did; however the line is also metric but a 3/8 ferrule will go on with some finessing of the ferrule and line. Meaning hone the ferrule just a bit and emery down the line a touch. Or just use standard -6 line with a clamp on the line. I used the correct Russel -6 PS teflon line and it will not go over the low pressure line. That's why I used a ferrule compression to -6 male. Kind of hard to explain really.

Like I said, I'll look up some part#'s if you like?

·
Super Moderator
12,005 Posts
Thanks for the photo posting. It helps a lot. I guess the upper hose is the only part number I will need.

Here are some pics of where I am at. The motor was assembled and run for about 20 minutes on the 3 leg engine stand you see it on. Real scary :eek:
We used a stock pump with just a small belt from the crank pulley to drive it.
Now it is time to install the serpentine set up and set it in an engine run stand and finish the break in. A friend has built a real nice stand, I donated the radiator and gauges to the project and hopefully will have it next week. I just need to wait until he gets his big block done.
As you can see I do not do chrome or polished anything. If it doesn't make power my budget has no room for it. I am shooting for having it on the road by the end of May. The only hold up will be the lack of money.

Here it is right before it was run on the wobbly stand. That is my oldest son sitting next to it.

My friend Tom who assembled it and showed me a bunch of assembly tips I didn't know.
That timing cover has been removed, it is in the classified section. I put the stock painted one back on.

Right after it was run

And back in my shop awaiting the final assembly of the accessory drive set up.

This weekend I hope to get the front suspension and steering parts installed.

All new Moog steering parts, Energy Suspension bushings and QA1 coil overs.

·
Super Moderator
12,005 Posts
I may not need the adaptors. The pump fitting is the O ring type and so is the 88 Camaro steering gear that is going in. I will probably use a stock type hose to stay with my blingless theme :D

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice AFR heads. I almost wish I had went with AFR heads because the exhaust port would have been standard port and made header selection a heck of a lot easier.

I hope that's a reverse rotation WP on there if you're using the serp drive.

Here's some more pictures, I'll try to get the upper hose part # tomorrow, I just went to Pep Boys though and asked for an upper hose for an early 90's Chevy pick up. We tried a couple different years and engine sizes until the girl brought one out and I said BINGO! Just a 45° straight out water neck was all it took then.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I may not need the adaptors. The pump fitting is the O ring type and so is the 88 Camaro steering gear that is going in. I will probably use a stock type hose to stay with my blingless theme :D
You will probably be fine with that, even after changing my adapter on the PS pump from the metric o-ring type to the standard inverted flare my stock hose would have worked. But I like SOME bling. :D

·
Super Moderator
12,005 Posts
Yes it is a reverse rotation pump, an edelbrock. I see you have the same made in Canada sticker on the WP pulley :D The pictures are a big help. What did you do for a fan? I want to run a clutch fan set up that will fit in the stock shroud. It will probably have to be a truck application as most cars had electric fans. Again I want to thank you for the help. I am getting close now and and really want to keep the momentum going.

·
Super Moderator
12,005 Posts
AFR heads

Mary bought those nice heads for me. They are a great head for the price. All CNC machined. Standard Hooker headers bolted right on. By the time everything is bolted on they will not be visible.

·
Registered
577 Posts
With that serpentine setup you could also use a water neck and upper radiator hose from a '91-'93 caprice or roadmaster. The upper hose is routed to the outside of the alternator and wraps around the back so you don't have to worry about the fan touching the hose.

Dan

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Yes it is a reverse rotation pump, an edelbrock. I see you have the same made in Canada sticker on the WP pulley :D The pictures are a big help. What did you do for a fan? I want to run a clutch fan set up that will fit in the stock shroud. It will probably have to be a truck application as most cars had electric fans. Again I want to thank you for the help. I am getting close now and and really want to keep the momentum going.
Same trucks use a different WP with a threaded shaft that accepts a reverse rotation clutch fan. My Tahoe has one and don't think I didn't eye it up. LOL You seem to be a master at the scrapyard, hunt away.

What I did was just use a 2" spacer and reverse rotation Flex-a-lite flex fan. The 2" spacer put the blades exactly splitting the edge of the shroud perfectly. It's noisy but cools really well. I'll probably at some point look around for one of those trucks in a scrapyard and get the clutch set up for quietness only as cooling right now is a non-issue. I believe I bought an 18" and the end of the blades leave about an inch or maybe just a bit more open area.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
With that serpentine setup you could also use a water neck and upper radiator hose from a '91-'93 caprice or roadmaster. The upper hose is routed to the outside of the alternator and wraps around the back so you don't have to worry about the fan touching the hose.

Dan
Mike Orwan here, the guy that had the fire did that. No offense to Mike but I think it looks a little silly wrapped around the back of the alternator. Does it work....absolutely. I wanted something that appeared just a little more like stock.

Phillip if you buy that hose make sure your radiator has a stepped bung accepting either a 1" or 1 1/2" hose. The hose you will get will probably have a 1" inlet and will not fit on the stock 1 1/2" bung. It would be possible to use exhaust pipe adapters but again to me that's too backyard.

·
Registered
667 Posts

That will work fine, it's the way I did my Camaro. I like the no-bling look myself.

·
Super Moderator
12,005 Posts
This is going to be my last project, the engine took over 10 years to get it where it is. It was slated to be in 3 other cars and never made it. The rest of the project has been ongoing for 5 years. I guess the upside is the cost has been spread out over a long time. Some of the parts have more then doubled in price since I bought them :)
The child in this photo has already graduated high school and is supporting himself. (this was the original assembly of this engine)

·
Registered
577 Posts
hey try a dayco 71028 upper hose my brother just put one on his 80 camaro and the fit was dead on, even with the factory thermostat housing, it should work on our novas there basically the engine compartment and radiator.Our rads are over slightly to the ds but it looks like it will work fine.Dan

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
supr78nova,

It appears as though it would work but I had bought one and it winds up too short. When I went to the parts store once and held one in my hand it did look like exactly the right thing until I got home. Big bummer. It may work with a shorter radiator length wise and different shroud.

·
Registered
36 Posts
serp drive

how did you guys do the ps lines i am stuck and not knowing which way to go any halp would be great

·
Super Moderator
12,005 Posts
Originally like this, but when the fan disintegrated it took out the return pipe on the steering gear and I have not been able to find another one like it. Now it just comes up and over to the reservoir. The high pressure line is a stock 77 replacement from NAPA.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts