Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
He has a 62 Chevy. He has a 400 in it now. A nice lil 383 up front.

The problem is the highway speeds. He needs the OD. So there is the 4l80e.

Any recommendation's with trans "builders" these days? Any advice would help.

I think we are going to try to do it ourselves. A nice ramp hoist helps. And brother in Laws :).. JR

·
Registered
22 Posts
what does the 4180e benefit have over a 400R4. the 400 has a 4th O/D. mine drops to 1800 RPM at 70MPH with origional 6 cyl open rear.

·
Registered
1963 Hardtop W.I.P.
721 Posts
From what I understand the 4l80 is big, you'll need to modify the tunnel to get it to fit in a first gen.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
A 4l80e is much stronger than a 700r4. I put one in my 65 as I was worried about blowing up a 4l60e. You will need to modify the tunnel, but honestly it is not that bad. If you search under my name, I have some pictures.

As far as builders, that depends on how much hp you are pushing. If you are under 600hp, I would just find a decent junkyard core or one out of a running and driving truck. You can add a HD2 shift kit which will add a lot of strength for pretty cheap and is fairly easy to do. I would just leave out the pressure relief valve as they are prone to leaking.

If you want to go with a builder, I would highly recommend Jake's Performance. They have a good line of budget stall converters as well. That being said, it will not be cheap. Most people who have a 4l80e built are pushing over 6-700hp. These transmissions can handle well over 1000hp with some aftermarket parts.

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry.. My bust! I should have added more letters :) Not the 700r4, I have that and like it. He has a TH400 now, in place, fits great.

Not sure where you got 700r4 from 400 but thats my fault..

He wants to swap his TH400 out for a 4L80E. Thanks. JR

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Ah ok. I saw dandy said 400R4 and thought he meant 700r4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1967 Chevy II
17 Posts
A 200R4 is an alternative that will swap without any issues (other than it can only handle soo much hp)

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A 200R4 is an alternative that will swap without any issues (other than it can only handle soo much hp)

Thanks. Gonna go let him know. 200R4 instead of the 4l80e. I mean I get it. Not sure he will... JR

·
Premium Member
3,054 Posts
I have a 200-4R behind a 450 hp small block. No issues for 14 years. I did purchase one built to handle the hp.

·
Registered
70 Nova
112 Posts

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If your friend need a cable speedometer drive for the 4L80E let me know.

For sure that is one of the many things he is looking at. I am going to give him that info.

His was a two on the tree, then three ( my edit) on the tree with the th400.. He got in contact with a place out east that does four on the tree links for his car, and really inexpensive. ZGoing with that.

I just wanted to know if you guys had a pick. Art Carr, B and M? Those sorts? Any help?

Cause they all suck, IMO.. JR

·
Registered
204 Posts
California Performance Transmissions in Huntington Beach is owned and operated by Art Carr. I put a 2004R in my 63 Nova that has a 355 which should be pushing around 375hp based on what my engine builder used in parts. It bolted right in and has been great so far. I believe Art can build this trans to handle over 400hp. It might be worth a phone call to Art and discuss what he has, how much hp it can handle and any other questions you or your friend might have. I found Art to be very helpful and willing to talk to you. He can also address the topic of torque converts.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts