Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Please tell me I'm not the only person in here who caught some of the awesome surf we had this weekend? It was the best surf we've had in a while.

Some of it was brutal. I learned that when the old guy on the 10ft longboard with the handlebar mustache shouts "OUTSIDE!!!" get your butt paddling away from the shore because you are about the get eaten by a huge incoming wave. Nothing like getting a forehead full of ocean floor. :D

·
Premium Member
11,931 Posts
Hey Tom!

You must be one of the "New Crew"!

I used to surf in high school and joined the NSSA when Peter Townend and Ian Cairns were still part of the "Bronzed Aussies"! LOL!!

Learned alot about contest surfing from him. He's a real stand up guy!

Now I'm an old fart so I don't get in the water all that often. The last time I surfed was when a friend of mine was getting married in Ixtapa, Mexico. I got to surf Saladitas. Super fun if your a longboarder and even fun to pick up a few of the inside waves on a shortboard.

I ride a 6' 5" Channel Islands thruster. What do you ride?

John

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
I cruised down to the wedge to watch. Saw some 20'+ sets. Amazing. Saw the tow-in surf competition with all the pros on Saturday. Equally amazing. I was watching the waves in Huntington scrape the bottom of the pier!

·
Registered
600 Posts
I was there on Friday! They were pretty AMAZING! Here are some pix!

These were taken at the pier just north of The Wedge in Newport Beach...

PS.- I DON'T SURF... I WAS JUST A SPECTATOR! I DON'T HAVE SKILLS TO SURF! I WISH I DID!

Ivan :cool:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Wow those are huge! I surfed on Friday and Monday in the Ventura area. It wasn't as big as further south but it was still epic!

·
Premium Member
1963 Chevy II wagon 400
11,869 Posts
Last time surfing for me was '04 at Waddells near Half moon Bay. :)
From 77-83, I lived in Carlsbad. Ben Aipa & Jerry Lopez were big then & Rabbitt B. I was a O'side harbour local then.:D

I got lucky with big surf one weekend when I flew in from Phoenix. In 'early 80s, El Nino produced 6-20' waves on then southern Cali coast. Went surfing with a friend from Del Mar named Ben Redmond,I rode my 5'3" Offshore Mez kneeboard which I still have with a few other boards.:D. We checked out Swami's early & there were up to 50 surfers in this insane 10-16' circus.:rolleyes: To many peeps !:(

We drove to Seaside & saw one guy out,we got in the water in 10 mins. By the time I got in the lineup the other guy had gone in, he rode a killer 12' barrel ! I took me 2 sets to get my cajozes :eek:up as I had only ridden up to 9' waves. You could see waves going as far as a mile.

Set three I caught the first wave & it's easily 15', I did a headed towards the barrel on the drop & then bottom turned 40 mph went back up to hit the lip & drop again ,rode it out the wall 10 sec. later ,stoked outta my mind !!!!!!!:yes: Next hour I surfed the best waves of my life, I got 5 up to 15-20' before I lost my leashless board !:D I watched with 30 others on the beach watching my friend Ben ripping till the coast closed out !

Cool thread,sorry 'bout the hijack & thanks for the memories !
I have a 9' Russell too.
Aloha,Ric

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
I used to bodysurf The Wedge back when I was young and stupid--been tossed completely out of the water a few times--I rarely get wet at Calif. beaches, but I'll spend half the day out in the water in Hawaii.
Huntington looked totally different on Sunday as I sat in traffic on PCH, nothing even close to those pix.
I think next month Hawaii might be calling me back!

Last month in Kauai:

North Shore Oahu Jan 08:

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Rubys had a good view, but it was probably ideal from about mid-pier. You got a perpendicular view of people dropping in, etc. On some of the outside sets it was breaking almost at the end of the pier, though. At one point on saturday they had a guy jump off the end of the pier as a publicity stunt. He did a grab on the way to the water and caught one of the first 8' or so waves immediately after. Guys were riding on the back of skis and jumping off and directly onto their feet into a wave. Amazing!

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Please tell me I'm not the only person in here who caught some of the awesome surf we had this weekend? It was the best surf we've had in a while.

Some of it was brutal. I learned that when the old guy on the 10ft longboard with the handlebar mustache shouts "OUTSIDE!!!" get your butt paddling away from the shore because you are about the get eaten by a huge incoming wave. Nothing like getting a forehead full of ocean floor. :D
I live in HB; the surf was great for the OPEN, but too big and walled for me. HB in general is over-rated in my opinion with these big swells. Unless its mixed, a large direct swell generally walls up and you can expect to drift a few lifeguard towers and that's just on the paddle out! ;-)

I did get some fun surf in Newport 30 streets. extremely crowded; had that "somebody knocked over a pepper shaker" look.

·
Premium Member
11,931 Posts
DAMN! I gotta dust off my boards and get back out there!

I agree that Huntington is worthless with surf above 6'! It's either too walled up or the current is so strong you can paddle out on the north side and by the time you make it out to the lineup you're at Goldenwest!:eek:

I wonder what it was like at the Newport River jetties? Rock and sand bottom so it holds large swells much better.

John

1 - 15 of 15 Posts