Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It's a slight hesitation when taking off slow in first at the low end, if I get on it it will it will hesitate a few times during the low end of first, if I get on it while driving it will hesitate a few times during the top end of second or third almost like hitting a rev limiter. After noticing it I jumped on the interstate and it did just fine while cruising. If the car is in neutral it will rev just fine without any hesitation and it idles just fine. Any help will be appreciated.

Also 383 with th350

I've had the car for about a year now without any driveability problems until now, no adjustments or tuning have been done since I've owned it so this is something new.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I'm interested in hearing what is said. I just took mine out for a test and it does the same thing. Mine hesitates or hits a wall at 5500, then after the hesitation it revs pretty good. I have 3.73 gears. Dnt mean to hijacked sorry

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm interested in hearing what is said. I just took mine out for a test and it does the same thing. Mine hesitates or hits a wall at 5500, then after the hesitation it revs pretty good. I have 3.73 gears. Dnt mean to hijacked sorry
When I had a turbo'ed mustang it did the samething as what you are described and it ended up being the spark plugs being gapped to large and the spark was being blown out, I gapped them down and it took care of it. My issues seem to bemore like a fuel problem.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I set my timing based on total and not initial. If I had some plugs I would block off dizzy and port on carb and change

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
It would be helpful to know what carburetor we are talking about .

and what distributor and ignition system ....fuel pump... and a current picture of the engine could be helpful.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
It would be helpful to know what carburetor we are talking about .

and what distributor and ignition system ....fuel pump... and a current picture of the engine could be helpful.
distributor is a GM HEI, mechanical fuel pump, the carb is a Quick Fuel. I started it last night to see if it was still having problems and I noticed the tach a bouncing around erratically but the RPMs were fine (which I remember it doing the last time I drove it when it was cutting out) I let it idle for a few minutes and then I rev'ed the engine and the car died and now it will not start at all!! :mad: All of my fluids look good and my oil pressure is 20psi when cranking on it.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Check to make sure you are getting 12 volts to the hei. If you are still using the oem harness the resistor wire must be replaced, with standard wire.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I unplugged my tach (sun pro) and it started right up, I let it warm up and then drove it around and all the hesitations are gone. Once I got it back home I shut it off and plugged the tach back back in and it started right with no problems, I'm thinking about getting the plastic molded plugs for distributor instead of crimped female spades (previous owner) and a filter.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Sounds like a fuel problem. Not getting enough, like dirty filter, bad pump, or trash in your carburetor. It just takes a little bit of debri to mess up a carb.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
After a couple of good starts and driving I decided to replace the pigtail for the tach output and the power on the hei distribuator, so I went to the local parts store and bought a molded plastic pigtail, bc the previous owner crimped on a female spade for the tach output. To make a long story short I soldered the pigtail on and now the car wont start again, I cut the tach output wire that I just soldered to see if the tach was causing the car not to start again and it still wouldn't start with it clipped. Any help would be appreciated

1 - 16 of 16 Posts