Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok heres what i plan on getting for my exhaust system on my 72..so tell me what you all think of it..or if i should make any changes to it and or what i should add on to it

Headers i think im gonna go with these not sure if i should get some shorty to save some money or these

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=SUM-G9001-9&N=700+400304+115&autoview=sku

X pipes.these seem to be pretty good for the price not sure of any others for good price and performance.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=SUM-642125&N=700+400304+115&autoview=sku

Mufflers. im leaning towards Flowmaster 40's

well what do you all think? im on a budget so these seem good for me, unless theres others i should consider on a budget. let me know guys :D

·
Registered
930 Posts
That stuff should be decent quality. I just read your other post and it looks like you've got a stock 350. I think a good match with the x-pipe would be some dynomax ultra-flo's or magnaflows. Personally I think flowmaster 40's are overdone, but I do like the sound of the single chamber flows which sound real good on a high compression small block
:devil:

·
Registered
11,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That stuff should be decent quality. I just read your other post and it looks like you've got a stock 350. I think a good match with the x-pipe would be some dynomax ultra-flo's or magnaflows. Personally I think flowmaster 40's are overdone, but I do like the sound of the single chamber flows which sound real good on a high compression small block
:devil:
ya its a stock and i am on a budget so it seems best right now..ya as for the mufflers im still not sure to what kind to get..ultra flo's seem to be really popular along with the magnaflow..but i dont know what they sound like? what would sound like on a stock 350? i want it loud an non importish crap lol :yes:

·
Registered
607 Posts
between painted headers and Ceramic?
Ceramic has better insulation properties and thus helps keep underhood temperatures down, which decreases intake charge temperature, which, then, helps produce more power through better cylinder filling (volumetric efficiency). Get ceramic coated ones if your budget allows it.

·
Registered
11,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ceramic has better insulation properties and thus helps keep underhood temperatures down, which decreases intake charge temperature, which, then, helps produce more power through better cylinder filling (volumetric efficiency). Get ceramic coated ones if your budget allows it.
ahhh great explanation..ya i was gonna go with Ceramic from the start just wanted to know the difference...i got another header question as well..whats the difference between shorty heads and long ones?

·
Registered
607 Posts
ahhh great explanation..ya i was gonna go with Ceramic from the start just wanted to know the difference...i got another header question as well..whats the difference between shorty heads and long ones?
One thing you could do is buy a set that is correct dimensionally, then send them off to Jet-Hot to have them coated. I just got a set back from them with their extreme-sterling coating, and it looks great. I haven't hooked them up yet, but they said it would insulate up to 1700F.

http://www.jet-hot.com/headercoatings.html

As for the differences between a shorty header and a long-tubed one, the name gives it away. The shorties sweep down and have the collector right underneath the cylinder head, sitting against the block, hence the term 'shorties'. They are great for clearance issues with steering, clutch linkage, power steering pumps, etc., but not so great for power, depending on your setup.

·
Registered
11,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
One thing you could do is buy a set that is correct dimensionally, then send them off to Jet-Hot to have them coated. I just got a set back from them with their extreme-sterling coating, and it looks great. I haven't hooked them up yet, but they said it would insulate up to 1700F.

http://www.jet-hot.com/headercoatings.html

As for the differences between a shorty header and a long-tubed one, the name gives it away. The shorties sweep down and have the collector right underneath the cylinder head, sitting against the block, hence the term 'shorties'. They are great for clearance issues with steering, clutch linkage, power steering pumps, etc., but not so great for power, depending on your setup.
mmm would it be cheaper to get some painted ones and get them coated?
i gotta admit it looks very very nice from the pics on there site..as for the shorty heads and long ones..i have a stock 350 right now im getting a new exhaust system and i was gonna go with long tube since i heard u get more out of them

·
Registered
607 Posts
mmm would it be cheaper to get some painted ones and get them coated?
i gotta admit it looks very very nice from the pics on there site..as for the shorty heads and long ones..i have a stock 350 right now im getting a new exhaust system and i was gonna go with long tube since i heard u get more out of them
Go with long-tube, full-length headers, but don't over do the primary size unless you're looking to rebuild your 350 to be a high-revving, high-flowing mouse in the near future. 1 5/8" full-length should suit you fine and provide some low-end torque. Don't go over that, as your engine won't make enough power to utilize the bigger primaries, and will hurt low end torque, which is where your engine thrives.

I actually bought a set straight from Jet-Hot, and they coated them and sent them to me. Just give them a part number and they can order them, coat them, and ship them to your door. Be weary though - if the part is not in stock (or they don't carry it, and they have to order it), be prepared to wait 2 - 4 weeks for it to arrive. Mine took 3 weeks.

·
Registered
11,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Go with long-tube, full-length headers, but don't over do the primary size unless you're looking to rebuild your 350 to be a high-revving, high-flowing mouse in the near future. 1 5/8" full-length should suit you fine and provide some low-end torque. Don't go over that, as your engine won't make enough power to utilize the bigger primaries, and will hurt low end torque, which is where your engine thrives.

I actually bought a set straight from Jet-Hot, and they coated them and sent them to me. Just give them a part number and they can order them, coat them, and ship them to your door. Be weary though - if the part is not in stock (or they don't carry it, and they have to order it), be prepared to wait 2 - 4 weeks for it to arrive. Mine took 3 weeks.
ya i was gonna go with 1 5/8", im gonna rebuild my engine but not soon thats some time away from now

mmm i didnt see there prices? what do they run for?...nvm i just checked haha way to much for me right now

·
Registered
607 Posts
ya i was gonna go with 1 5/8", im gonna rebuild my engine but not soon thats some time away from now

mmm i didnt see there prices? what do they run for?
I got a set of 65003 Hedman's. They run $200 according to Summit. I ordered them direct from Jet-Hot with their Extreme Sterling coating totaling $562.95 shipped. The extreme sterling coating is $50 more than their regular sterling coating. The coating isn't exactly super cheap, but I got one of the better coatings. You should call and ask to get a recommendation.

http://www.jet-hot.com

·
Registered
607 Posts
I just noticed Summit sells a set of 1 5/8" full-length set of headers for under $200. You might wanna try those, but I cannot attest to the quality. Perhaps somebody else knows.

·
Registered
11,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I got a set of 65003 Hedman's. They run $200 according to Summit. I ordered them direct from Jet-Hot with their Extreme Sterling coating totaling $562.95 shipped. The extreme sterling coating is $50 more than their regular sterling coating. The coating isn't exactly super cheap, but I got one of the better coatings. You should call and ask to get a recommendation.

http://www.jet-hot.com
:eek: ha maybe in the future ill get a pair..right now im on a budget to get them babys

·
Registered
11,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
203 Posts
dude, headers wont really make much of a difference on a stock engine. Im actually ordering a pair of the painted ones, yes the ceramic look nice n probably last longer. the painted ones get the job done tho

·
Registered
11,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
dude, headers wont really make much of a difference on a stock engine. Im actually ordering a pair of the painted ones, yes the ceramic look nice n probably last longer. the painted ones get the job done tho
ya i thinking that cause the painted ones cost almost half of what the ceramic ones are seeing as im on a budget it would be nice to save some extra money

1 - 20 of 24 Posts