Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys im just seeing what u think of my powertrain im trying to get a good guess of waht it will run ok here we go its a 307 .30 over lunate bracket master2 230 lift and 480 duration, 305 ho heads that have been port matched on the ext, edlbrock performer rpm, quadrajet 750, 2200-2500 stall, stage2 b&m shift kit, long tube headers 3 inch purple hornys, richmond 4.11's with a mini spool, blaster coil, b&m star shifter, oh yah its 10:1 comp, coming soon 100 shot of nos so therer u have it let me know what u think

·
Registered
270 Posts
If you are going to drive it on the road that mini spool might not be the best thing. But sounds like you got a good start (except the 307 :( you need more cubes:D )

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yah everyone says more cubes but i want to do something difrent then everyone else u know what i mean. and i have already been taking the mini spool on the street its not as bad as everyone says it is u just have to take it slow when u turn but i just cruse it anyways.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Let me know how it runs. I was thinking of building up a 305 to play with that I have sitting around. Everybody looks at me like I'm crazy when I tell them I want to build up a 305, but I already have a 350 in my 76. Figured I might see what I can get out of a 305 w/HO601 heads, and a big cam. I'm thinking more along the lines of putting it in another 76 that I have, and using it to tow my other 76 around to the tracks. I originally had the heads on a 350, but it kept running hot and cracked the block under the intake after about 300 miles. It was averaging 220 degrees running 65 down the road, pull up to a light and watch the temperature rise about 20-30 more degrees before the light turned again. I was practically racing it on the street just to keep air moving across it. I decided to put the stock heads on the 2nd 350 I have now since I figured it was all that compression that probably caused it. That and the 1st motor may have already been too stressed to handle it. I built my 2nd motor myself, that way I can't blame anybody else if something goes wrong. lol. I'll see in about a week how it runs, and I may decide to put the HO601's back on the 350 for that extra compression.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i will we are going to startit sunday and take it for a ride and see how it does ill let u guys know how it goes

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
You goin' racing or just cruising around?

I'm still guessing a mid 14 second pass, sorry.

Kev

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no im going to just cruising it around for about 200miles then im takeing it to track night at the drag strip and see what it will run with and without nos im guessing high to mid 13s and low 13s to high 12s with nos but will see i dont realy care what it runs as soon as my new motor get to the machine shop this one is going in a s-10 and im puting a 327 in this car my guess on the 327 is somewhere in the high 400 hp and high 400 tq so it should be a good runner

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
If you have a stock rear suspention, I say mid 14's, with the nos, maybe high 13's. Sorry, but the 305's are dogs as are the 307's. I had the 305ho in my 87 Monte SS and it was a turd of a motor, sounded like a good motor, sucked gas like a healthy v8, but got walked by many STOCK import four door SEDANS! :mad: And I had a 307 with aftermarket cam (don't remember what one) headers and a highrise intake and it was just as bad of a dog.

If you have a 305/307 and want to use parts you can switch over, that is just fine, but spending alot on them TO GO FAST is a waste, if you just want a cruiser, then that is okay. Now these are just my opinions, so don't take them the wrong way.
ps
Any pics of the car?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok boys i have started it and cursed it and i ran the **** out of it and it quick but not quick enough so i cave in i am trading my 2 motors in the garage and geting a 350 that my buddy just pulled out of a full size van in the van that wieghs 5000 pounds it ran a 13.05 everyone thinks that in my car with my setup it will put me in low 12's and mid 11's on my nos setup so sorry to disapoint all of u but i must break in to the 12's to mid 11's

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Glad to see you came to the same conclusion that most of us have...

Big motors run better than little ones! Lol.

Kev

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
I mentioned that too, but he didn't seem to believe me. Still, they're the best factory heads for small bore motors without big domed pistons or milling the crap out of the heads...

Kev (Almost running 13's with those crappy little heads)

·
Registered
569 Posts
78novafan said:
ok boys i have started it and cursed it and i ran the **** out of it and it quick but not quick enough so i cave in i am trading my 2 motors in the garage and geting a 350 that my buddy just pulled out of a full size van in the van that wieghs 5000 pounds it ran a 13.05 everyone thinks that in my car with my setup it will put me in low 12's and mid 11's on my nos setup so sorry to disapoint all of u but i must break in to the 12's to mid 11's
Assuming that 'van' 350 is far from stock ?

my full size Van with the 6.5 Diesel / 4L80E might run 15's downhill, so no way a 350 can run 13's in a van without a LOT of work .

my 79 ( .030 over 355, 11.5:1 pop-up LT1 pistons, Dart heads, Performer RPM cam,crane roller tip rockers,etc / B&M TH350 with 'sat night special' converter, and 12 bolt with ladder bars and 5:13's "only" runs 12.24.
it's not ragged edge radical ( in fact it's going in the 76 and our bick block goes in the 79 this summer), but doubt it's more than 450 HP.. so 12's is believable with a well-built motor.

one thing to note, however, is that running under 11.99 *WILL REQUIRE * you to have a roll cage, or the track will toss you out, one thing to think during the buildup if you want to run those numbers.

~ AL

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well boys i got the best early birthday present today its a nother 78 nova but this one is a custum its great. and i just got a 455 big block so now i know what to put in it.

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
A 455? A pontiac engine? There are no big block olds or pontiacs, they share the same dimensions from 326 (?) up.

Kev

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
might be that he's talking about a 454 that's been redone. . . .

either way i'm always happy to hear someone that's bringing a fourth gen to life. Now all we need are some pics!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
actualy it is a pontiac motor and they did make a 455 ill get some pics as soon as i can get this damn camera to work right. so any suggestions on how i should build this motor n/a, nos, or my fav blower.

·
Registered
535 Posts
novaboy009 said:
A 455? A pontiac engine? There are no big block olds or pontiacs, they share the same dimensions from 326 (?) up.

Kev
Funny terminology by some people. Strange as it is, mechanics that I work with continually call engines "motors". I placed a bet with them- my paycheck for theirs if they can prove a "motor"- (a blower motor for heat which the name refers to being electrically driven can run off of a fuel such as a naturallly aspirated combustion engine) and even better yet, if they can make an "engine" run strictly off of electricity without a fuel source they will make me a believer in their terminology to change history! So far,no takers yet:D ?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts