Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello, ok iv been on here talking about doing a big block. well i just was able to get a 454 block. its a two bolt but i plain on putting arp studs in it. my question is should i leave it a 454 or should i do a 489 stroker? i realize its not that much of a price differince but i worry more about the clearance part. how much clearancing do you need to do? is it better to go with aluminum or steel rods? which clearance better? its not that much of a price difference but i dont want to do a lot of clearancing. thanks al.

·
Premium Member
13,309 Posts
tho I have never done one (496).... according to Jeff (Stock Z/28) its a drop in crank if using steel rods...

and I trust jeff ....

·
Premium Member
1,849 Posts
go with a 4.25 stroke, steel rods, a nice over bore and presto .... 496.

There are several sources that sell stroker kits and with a two bolt block and studs it should hold up to just about anything you throw at it on the street

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
use steel rods for the street. Aluminum rods have their purpose in drag racing but not for the street. I don't think you have to clearance the block too much, especially if you buy "stroker" rods which are made for stroker engines. I personally like the 454-468 combo but I know the 496 is very popular and makes gobs of torque.

·
Registered
1974 chevy. Ova
1,179 Posts
don't you have to clearance the block if you use longer than stock rods?

·
Premium Member
13,309 Posts
why? you only lengthening the rod.. the beam is not the issue.. its the big end, rod bolt head and rod bolt nuts that have the greatest reach on the circumference....

Most all of the cap screw rods clear now a days.... or at least minimal grinding(sbc) the 4.375 stroke BBC cranks and above need checking for interference fit with the rods attached...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts