Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed new gauges in my 64 recently. Sport Comp gauges. The gas gauge didn't seem to work so I thought the sending unit was bad so, I replaced it this weekend. The fuel gauge dial only moves a fraction of an inch. I've checked the ground on the sending unit and the gauge. I even ran a new wire from the sending unit to the gauge just to check the wiring. Still nothing. I'm stumped. Any assistance or advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
The sender and gauge need to be compatable. You may have a 30 ohm sender and a 90 ohm gauge so even if your tank is full it can only register 1/3 full. I may be wrong though.

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
Well I am pretty sure the 64 sender is a 30 ohm unit, So check what your gauge is compatable with and go from there. I am also pretty sure that an aftermarket fuel level gauge is designed for a 90 ohm sender like the 65-67 years had so you may be needing to swap in a sender from one of those cars.

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
You do have a 30 ohm sender. You can change your sender or get a 30 ohm gauge.

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
A quick test to verify that your gauge works is to remove the wire fron the sender and ground it, your fuel gauge should read full regardless of ohm rating.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just want to make sure I'm ordering the right gauge. I found one thru Jegs.
Model # 105-3317 0-30 ohms Says it fits most pre 1965 GM vehicles.
Does this sound like the one I need?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's an Auto meter Pro comp. I'm not sure what ohms though. I couldn't find anything stamped on the body of the gauge and I don't have the box.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts