Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a bit of a sad story. I inherited an old 1964 Nova SS, and have been storing it for 30+ years, always saying that 'someday' I would find time to finish it. The good friend who left it to me started the restoration, but it was and still is a basket case. Last summer, the worst happened and due to rising water levels my garage ended up with water in it up to the door sills. I need to get this car into the hands of someone who will finish it. I don't have the money or the time it would take. My friend bought it in the early '80's after it had been lightly wrecked in front. He has a new front frame installed and a replacement hood and new fenders sitting in place. He had completely rebuilt the motor and I think the suspension, but it was never run. It was has the original straight 6 engine installed (not sure if it's a 194 or 230, but I think I remember it was the 194). It has the original red interior, but it's rough. Everything is pretty rough, but I have boxes of NOS or other replacement parts. I would probably be better off selling it for parts, but I would like to see it finished. At this point it likely needs everything re-done, new engine, new interior, paint, suspension, etc. The wheels no longer turn, and I need to store it outside now as I just had 24" of gravel put in the garage and the new door opening won't let me get the machine in that drug it out.

I also have a lot of NOS trim, like the stuff that goes along the top of the fenders, brand new in original GM packaging.

What's it worth? $3k? less? More?

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
welcome to the nova site. i've seen alot worse saved an restored back to the road. i wouldn't part it out sell as a complete sale. an its an SS making it worth fixing. do the windows still roll down ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The windows do still roll down. I also have the original SS hubcaps in good condition, and a good set of crager chrome wheels that are period correct. Most of the parts are still in good shape and were not stored here.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
you might be selling yourself short at 3000. some of that NOS trim pieces are very hard to find for an SS. that total package of trim is worth more than you think it is. look around the inter-net on trim for sale on that model. that radio, if it still works along with that original steering wheel looks pretty good. an then the dash trim is still all there.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Now I feel really badly, as there were two other radios sitting on the floor that got trashed. I will try to do a quick inventory of what trim I have, it may just be for the left side that was missing. There was also a box marked for the rear tailgate for a 64 Nova SS station wagon, that obviously doesn't go with this car. When I looked at it, it looks more like the front of the hood trim piece, but who knows. I also have 2 sets of bumpers, I think. It may be 1 front bumper and 2 rear bumpers.

Thanks for your responses. It looks like some of the value will be in the parts I have, so I need to get a better understanding of what all is there. IMG_20200308_141908.jpg

·
13,729 Posts
Only about 6% of the 1964 Chevy IIs were super sports, so there's probably a market for it, even in the current condition. The body doesn't look too bad, but you didn't mention condition of the floors, trunk, etc. Did water go over the sills into the car? How long was it in water? Don't know enough details about the condition, but I think you should be looking well north of 3K and as a restorable car.

Bob

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
In the picture you posted of the interior, it appears that the center console was under water(?). If the water was that high and thats the case, from an insurance standpoint, this would now be a 'Salvage Title' vehicle. Now you may not have had it insured, so you could sell it as a restoration candidate, but prospective buyers will most likely be nervous.

Might be a better candidate to part out, and not deal with all the variables from having been under water.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for the comments. I didn't think the water got into the car and up to the center console, but there are some signs in the pictures. I need to look it over again. It looks like a watermark on the seats, which would indicate at one point the water was really high. It wasn't insured, so no claim was filed, but I will be sure to point out the signs to a prospective buyer. Water levels in the lake were high most of the summer, but could have gotten that deep only for a couple of short periods when the wind blew from the south. The couple of people I spoke with all know the situation with the car, so I am not trying to hide anything. It needs a full restoration, replacing lots of metal. I was thinking of bringing a couple of those Magic Erasers and seeing if the vynal seats clean up enough. There is so little wear on them and the color is good. It's been stored indoors for probably 40 years in near this condition. I am not sure how long my friend had it prior to his passing. I also found 3 or 4 gauge clusters in a box, and lots of the headlight surrounds.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have a bit of a sad story. I inherited an old 1964 Nova SS, and have been storing it for 30+ years, always saying that 'someday' I would find time to finish it. The good friend who left it to me started the restoration, but it was and still is a basket case. Last summer, the worst happened and due to rising water levels my garage ended up with water in it up to the door sills. I need to get this car into the hands of someone who will finish it. I don't have the money or the time it would take. My friend bought it in the early '80's after it had been lightly wrecked in front. He has a new front frame installed and a replacement hood and new fenders sitting in place. He had completely rebuilt the motor and I think the suspension, but it was never run. It was has the original straight 6 engine installed (not sure if it's a 194 or 230, but I think I remember it was the 194). It has the original red interior, but it's rough. Everything is pretty rough, but I have boxes of NOS or other replacement parts. I would probably be better off selling it for parts, but I would like to see it finished. At this point it likely needs everything re-done, new engine, new interior, paint, suspension, etc. The wheels no longer turn, and I need to store it outside now as I just had 24" of gravel put in the garage and the new door opening won't let me get the machine in that drug it out.

I also have a lot of NOS trim, like the stuff that goes along the top of the fenders, brand new in original GM packaging.

What's it worth? $3k? less? More? View attachment 400602 View attachment 400608 View attachment 400603 View attachment 400604 View attachment 400605 View attachment 400606 View attachment 400607 View attachment 400609
Thank you all for the comments. I didn't think the water got into the car and up to the center console, but there are some signs in the pictures. I need to look it over again. It looks like a watermark on the seats, which would indicate at one point the water was really high. It wasn't insured, so no claim was filed, but I will be sure to point out the signs to a prospective buyer. Water levels in the lake were high most of the summer, but could have gotten that deep only for a couple of short periods when the wind blew from the south. The couple of people I spoke with all know the situation with the car, so I am not trying to hide anything. It needs a full restoration, replacing lots of metal. I was thinking of bringing a couple of those Magic Erasers and seeing if the vynal seats clean up enough. There is so little wear on them and the color is good. It's been stored indoors for probably 40 years in near this condition. I am not sure how long my friend had it prior to his passing. I also found 3 or 4 gauge clusters in a box, and lots of the headlight surrounds.
Is Lake fresh or salt water ?

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
are the guage clusters SS clusters? Were they under water? Would be interested in purchasing one of they are SS clusters and in good shape.

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
Is Lake fresh or salt water ?
I would have to venture that it is fresh water, since its located in MI.

I would be interested in the Nova, if I were only closer.. I did drive to MI to buy a truck a few years back, but I was able to get in it and drive home..

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
someone said it in michigan. were you at in micigan ?

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
novavetteguy..... thanks i was hoping closer an i'd go look at it. that bout 150 miles south of me

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi all, sorry for the slow response. It's in Southeast Michigan, just north of Detroit. It was in fresh water. The frame seems solid. It had just been painted prior to storage and that may have helped. I have been jacking it up and no change to the door seams. I showed it to a guy yesterday but I got the idea he wanted me to pay him.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This car is officially up for sale now. $3300 or best offer. It needs to be loaded on a flatbed to get it home, as the wheels don't turn. I am planning to drain the oil and put fresh in before trying to turn the motor. I have a ton of additional parts, and they are all included. I believe everything is there from when it was disassembled. 586-260-7488 Steve If I don't answer, please text or leave a message.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just an update, this car is now OFF THE MARKET. My wife saw it finally after I brought it home and said it was 'cute" and that I should have it restored. It went to the shop Friday for disassembly and media blasting. Wish me luck... :)

·
Super Moderator
3,845 Posts
Please post pictures. You are in the right spot for information and help on the restoration. '64SS one of the nicer Novas to own. Great your wife's supporting the project, too.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts