Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to see if anyone has any idea on identifying a set of pistons that are in my 327 small journal.

I am going to be selling this motor and want to verify that I am remembering what is in it correctly.

The motor is still together but I pulled the pan and the only part number or id marks I can see is the numbers 23-99. I believe that they are essentially a stock replacement type.

I believe that the block is .30 over but would like to see that I can verify with the pistons. Motor was put together about 10 years ago and put in the Nova and driven probably less than 10K miles since then.
I am having a hard time remembering exact specs opn the motor from that long ago.

Any ideas?????

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
shine a flashlight into the plug hole and look at the piston tops... flat top w/4 valve reliefs is a std style flat top. 64cc heads and you have approximately 9.75-10.0-1 comp ratio depending on variables...

for a 327, unless it's a custom made piston, is either a flat top w/4 reliefs or it's a domed piston. the domes are an 11.0-1 piston.

i love sm journal 327's... one of the best SBC's ever made. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Flyer.

4 valve reliefs on top, just stock type replacements. I was hoping that the part# could tell me the bore. Might end up pulling the heads

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
the bottom side of the piston may have the part number, sometimes it's on the top of the piston head. the underside will not show an oversize... that will only be marked on the top...

with the flashlight, check the tops of all the pistons, very possible the number/size can be seen... depends on stamping placement & carbon buildup...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts