Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently, I have a blow proof bell housing in my 67 but plan to go to a stock bell housing and the smaller 153 tooth flywheeel and clutch setup. I just picked up a stock bell housing today but still need to order a clutch and flywheel.

Does everyone run a 10.5 clutch with this sort of setup? 30 lb steel flywheel?? That's mainly what I have been picking up with my research but want to be sure. As far as budget, I'd rather not over spend if I don't have to but don't want cheap out either. I'm guessing $250-300 for a clutch setup and $200-300 for a decent flywheel? Anything special for a throwout bearing, pilot bushing/bearing?

I don' get this car out much but I am planning to head out to Power Tour this year and have been ordering a lot of parts to get the car road worthy. I have never raced it but would love to be able to make a few passes if at all possible ;)

I have a Muncie M20 10 spline, a modified 355 and 3:42 gears. I have no idea what sort of HP the engine is pushing. Maybe 400ish? It has the following:

Edelbrock Thunder AVS 650
Performer RPM Airgap Intake
ProMaxx 2169 heads
280H Comp Cam

Thanks for reading and appreciate any and all advice you can give me!

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Yes I ran a 10.5 clutch in my Malibu. I had a Hays 30 lbs wheel, Hays Street/Strip disk and a ram diaphragm pressure plate. For a complete package look at the Ram Powergrip setups. I had an 11" setup in my Nova.

·
Registered
798 Posts
The scattershield is nice for safety but if you want to keep a factory look with the stock bellhousing a good aftermarket steel flywheel (SFI would be a bonus) is good insurance.With an M20 I have had both a 16lb flywheel and a 30lb.The extra mass of a 30lb is far nicer to drive on the street and would be a good match for the wide ratio M20 and your tallish 3.42 gear.I'll vouch for the 10.5 Ram Powergrip combo.I've been running the iron disc Powergrip HD for about 4 years and beat on the poor thing like I hate it.Has never let me down and never slipped.I think at your HP the standard Powergrip would be fine and the disc in that lineup is less aggressive than the HD series so flywheel/PP surfaces last longer.I prefer a bushing over a bearing.If a bearing piles up it will destroy the input shaft,Oilite bushing is more forgiving.With an OE bellhousing,pivot ball and the correct early fork any replacement TO bearing will be OK.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow. That was a great response. Thank you for that.

Do you recall which flywheel you installed? Such as brand/model?

Looks like this one might fit the bill. It's a 26lb but seems like a good piece for the money.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Think I'll go with this clutch too per the recommendations

·
Registered
798 Posts
^^^I agree.The Ram pressure plate has about 25% more clamp force than stock but I didn't notice any difference in pedal effort.With the 3.42's,when the iron side of that disc bite's the organic side will slip a bit to give you a softer engagement and help eliminate chatter.You'll be happy with that setup.Good pull.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sweet. Thank you all very much for the advice.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts