Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey again, I bought this car with the heat (and AC) inoperable. Id like to get a working heater and defroster. Im no expert when it comes to heat/ac in cars.

My question is, what am I missing from the firewall that a 1969 Nova with heat would have? I don't need AC, although it is an "AC car.

I had someone look behind firewall (passenger feet area), and there is a heater core (he said put new one in for insurance). Guess I'm wondering what parts will I need to get heat?

Attachments

·
Vendor
1,762 Posts
The 1st picture of the fabricated cover on the firewall is covering the area where the A/C evaporator core box would have been. To the left (towards the fender) you will see the two heater core outlets. By the fact they are painted over and damaged, I would be skeptical of the claim a new core was installed. The cores are normally disconnected because they are leaking.

What you can do is hook up the core to the motor and see if it leaks. Common signs are obvious liquid on the box or floor, or a fogged up windshield in that area. If you can figure out a way to do it, you can also try to run a garden hose through it instead. It can get messy.

Next, the blower motor is missing. That is the hole in the firewall under the fender. Likely other things missing we cannot see.

If it were my car, I would pull the heater box to properly assess what you have and what has been damaged / modified. Thankfully a bunch of these parts are repoped and used is not hard to find. The Assembly Manual and Factory Service Manual will have rudimentary diagrams and info regarding the system.

Reactions: KingofThings

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Damn SB thanks for taking the time for that info.

Above i mentioned that there "is a heater core", but the guy suggested i install a new one for cheap insurance. No new core is there....thats about Lall I do know haha.

So dash out to get at heater box?

I've never done this, but with some help, ill get er done.

·
Registered
4,672 Posts
look at this picture - - - you are missing "your heater HOUSING" . .
large hole - under your fender .
and covering "that patch plate" . (your heater blower motor = mounts into that heater housing , and
"extends" . . . towards that "patch plate area" .
You have a "heater core" (mounted inside u'r car = under u'r dash . . . you might want too install a new
heater - core . . . (you can see u'r heater core "tubes" ) sticking through .

Look close . . . . and you can see (a couple ) those 'holes' . . where that "heater housing" was bolted
to u'r fire-wall .

look at the 3 "high lighted areas" .

I'll take a picture of = what your "stock - heater only - should look like" . . . (give me alittle while) .

THEN = it also looks like you're missing 'some wiring' (for the outside blower motor) . . (I would try to find
any 'wiring - inside u'r car' (under u'r dash) . . and, any "heater control cables" (to operate the
"HOT & Cold" 'doors / flaps' for your . . heat / defrosters .

I have a 69 car ......................... but, mine will be different ............... with a/c .

·
Registered
4,672 Posts
and . . . . .

the firewall IS even different "between an A/C firewall car & a Heater only car" ...................

different "holes (openings) , between the two types" ........... but you might get the "heater only type"
too work ........... with the correct parts .

just letting you know ............................ they are different ..................... but, installing a heater only unit ,
will be easier .....................................if you have some "inside cables & some inside wiring" , in place .

Look at the "drawing picture" ................... look under u'r lower heater core tube ....................... you can see
a (screw) Stud there ................................. that (and other studs) is what holds part of your "inside heater
box" ........................ that you would need too remove , to remove u'r inside heater.

You DO - Not need to remove u'r dash ................... (maybe your pass. side kick-panel) .

jim

Reactions: KingofThings

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks SOO much you guys.

A pic of what it "should" look like would be awesome.

Eventually, I'm going to ask where I get the needed missing parts....AND, what the missing parts are (pics are best....I know I'm pushing it lol).

·
Registered
1972 Nova
331 Posts
This will hold the fan and all relays/resistors. I believe you'll need to remove the AC delete plate they bolted in to get air circulating around. You'll probably have to move your relay that's mounted.

Or, you could go with a Vintage Air setup and have a smooth firewall, heat, and AC.

·
Registered
4,672 Posts
Here's your stock "Heater Only" . . . heater cover . . . "The Picture"

# 1 - - heater only car - stock (non a/c) . BUT = if u use this way = you also have too change u'r
............. heater core ( a/c cars - use a/c type heater cores . . . . . non a/c cars - use a different heater core.

jim

·
Registered
4,672 Posts

This will hold the fan and all relays/resistors. I believe you'll need to remove the AC delete plate they bolted in to get air circulating around. You'll probably have to move your relay that's mounted.
"sudden_impulse" . . . . Has your "simple FIX " . . . . =

- - or - - (same thing . . . just different 'vendor' )

from "chevy2only" (a little higher price ........... but , same thing .
............. either one of these "COVERs" . . . will give you heater /defroster (only) ......
............. (you may also need - other parts - (wiring ? ? ) - .............

IF Using THESE Parts .... you can use the a/c type heater core (a new heater core) .

I hope this may help, you .

jim

ps - Vintage Air = too buy / add a V A unit (check the VA web site) ............. about =
$ 1500.00 . . . maybe more .

·
Registered
1972 Nova
331 Posts
Thats awfully tempting. What would the Vintage Air parts cost me (ballpark)?
I think it's around $1200 for the full kit.

If you get a delete cover, I've heard that the plastic covers (like I posted) fit and are made much better than the fiberglass covers. You will have to do some fitment work with the plastic cover still.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I took the fabricated cover off, and wanted to show what I saw. No surprise I don't think.....but does this help with what parts I may need to get heat (not doing AC now)?

·
Vendor
1,762 Posts
Nothing is living in there, so that is a plus :LOL::cool: Looks in decent shape.

Reactions: Twinshadows

·
Registered
1972 Nova
331 Posts
You'd still need the cover I linked, as air flows between that opening and the fan on the engine side. Do all of the blend doors move with the controls inside? You might have to start the car or use a vacuum pump to fully test, as some components are vacuum powered I think.

·
Registered
4,672 Posts
Nothing is living in there, so that is a plus :LOL::cool: Looks in decent shape.

10 - 4 .............. kinda my thought , also .
Cleaner than I thought . . . . looking good .

I'd move u'r 'starter sol.' , and maybe just get that (out-of-the-way) , too work on your "heater system" .

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a fan and heater box assembly I just pulled from a '72 available (actually have all of the heater parts). Box is in great shape and I tested the fan it appears to work but I have no idea on the age of the fan, I'm sure it was replaced at some point over the years. You can PM me if you're interested.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have a fan and heater box assembly I just pulled from a '72 available (actually have all of the heater parts). Box is in great shape and I tested the fan it appears to work but I have no idea on the age of the fan, I'm sure it was replaced at some point over the years. You can PM me if you're interested.
Thanks bud....I found a heater box assembly local....I'm cleaning it up and will post pics when done.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
After thinking about buying the stock "heat only-no AC" heater box, I'm having 2nd thoughts about having to cut my "AC" firewall to accomodate the large heater box.

I'm thinking the cover you guys mentioned (AC delete cover) is a better option, as I wont need to hack up my AC firewall.

So, when I buy a new heater core, do I get a AC core, or non AC one? Also, any other hard parts needed besides cover, core and blower?

Thanks guys.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts