Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am adding a 70's era under dash 8 track unit to my 72 Nova. The car has the original stock AM radio to a single front speaker. Not looking to do anything fancy. Needing help on how best to wire it either through the radio OR another way (is it possible to buy a switch to move back and forth between the radio and the 8 track?).

Appreciate any insights you might have.

Mike

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Most under dash 8 track units would want to play through at least 2 speakers and have their own amp that may be superior to the factory AM radio sound wise. I'd leave the stock radio and speaker intact and hook the 8 track player to its own speakers. I had an AM/FM cassette in dash and an 8 track player under dash playing through the same speakers with a simple 6 pole toggle switch but I think it would be difficult to get it to play with the factory mono speaker. Maybe if the R and L speaker leads went to the plus side of the speaker and the common ground to the minus it would work. Some factory radios use a chassis ground for their speakers,and that confuses me. There are stereo installers on site that know a lot more about this than I and may be moved to respond to correct my advice.

·
Registered
71 Posts
radio

When I was in high school , I installed way to many 8 tracks in lots of cars. Yes your 8 track needs two speakers. I installed extra speakers in kick panels and or rear deck. But back to your question I used a single pole double throw switch to run power to the units. Power comes in on common terminal and out to either radio or 8 track. If I used speakers for both units i did same thing but used a double throw double pole switch. On one side was the power to either unit and the other side was the common from the speakers . The speaker common was on input of switch and the 8 track was one output side and the radio was the other output side of switch. Just make sure you dont confuse power and speaker wires on switch.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
So I’m just wondering why you need an 8track player that needs to work..? My father was in the car stereo business from the early 70’s to the mid 90’s and the 8track tape format went out of favor around 1977.. You will need to have 8track tapes to feed the player in order to prove it actually works..:yes:

Do you have a stash of 8tracks you’ve been sitting on since the 70’s..?:devil:

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
i'd leave the AM radio as it is. i used to get power for the 8-track jumped from the 12 v wire on the cig lighter with a 5 amp inline fuse run to the 8 track. seems like the 8 track turned off when the tape was pulled from the player an turned on when a tape was slide into the player. an speaker wires i ran under the sill plate trim to the back were ever the speakers were mounted. they were kinda famous for eating tapes, i got pretty good at repairing the tapes. i think the guy that started lear jets had something to do with inventing the 8-track an player.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts