Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so my front suspension on my nova went out and can't work on it because I am having foundation work done at my house. I was trying to get my el camino to run temporarily while I fix the nova. It has a 307 with stock intake and an adapter with a rebuilt holley 600 cfm (4160). I have adjusted this carb to get it to run and all sort of problems keep occuring. First gas spilled so I lowered the floats. Then car died at stops so I raised the idle speed. I messed with it some more yesterday and was happy with it. This morning I tried to start it and it kept dying.:confused:

I have read tons of stuff online to adjust the carb myself. Just need some guidance to get this car running temporarily. Sorry for all the typing but any help would be appreciated. I'm even thinking of trading this car for any running vehicle. Need a working vehicle by next week.

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
Most common problem is a vacuum leak!

Also, floats could be too low!

Al

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Batman and Al I did set the float level using the sight hole but I did it with the vehicle off :eek:. I will try to redo the adjustments. Not looking for perfection or efficiency just functionality. Might end up trading this elco for a 78 nova. Will be back if any other issues arise.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I checked my floats and they were too high. After I lowered them and set the idle and idle mixture car seemed good. Will check tomorrow and see how the cold start is. A test drive and smog and it should be ready to drive/sell/trade. Batman again thanks for that link, read it before and forgot about it.:) Any further issues and I will seek your advice.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts