Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused:I have a small block 350 71 nova that i bought with a new heater core installed ..the supply and return copper pipes are through firewall with blue plastic removable caps on em..
Problem is what size is the the aluminum edelbrock tapping and size socket needed?
And/or is it easy to break free the bushing or the plug on the other side of manifold after all these years?? Bushing appears to need 7/8" socket?
Maybe i should spring for a 6 sided socket?

The reducing bushing was installed due to temp gauge sensor install.
I also noticed a plug on the right side of manifold but its underneath the upper radiator hose.

Same question for the plug on the water pump which appears to be 1/2".
Any pitfalls there?

Im wary of stripping the bushing or plug or worse due to the aluminum made intake.
Any suggestions appreciated..
hot or cold engine better?
Ive already wd-40'd the bushing and water pump plug.Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
598 Posts
If they're steel plugs in the aluminum manifold you could be in for a battle. Are they socket head (hex or sqaure), or do they have a square or hex head? Give them a tug with a good fitting wrench and see what happens. I've actually dented my fender with my thigh pulling on them with a breaker bar. You may need to use some heat. One hose should go in the manifold and the other in the water pump. I think they are 1/2" npt. Good luck.

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
the manifold will be 1/2"NPT with a 5/8" hose, water pump is also 1/2"NPT but for a 3/4" hose... wrench sizes i think are 15/16"

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Appreciate the responses!!..one more question??

:yes:Well the water pump plug came out fairly easy!.
Managed to get the 7/8" bushing out of the manifold too with a snug husky 6 sided socket..
Then got corageous and pulled 1/2" manifold plug out on right side too!
I then bushed down the right side manifold port down to a brass fitting for the temp gauge..done!
Off to Autozone (vintage car discount) to get 5/8 and 3/4 heater hoses with 1/2" ips x hose fittings and clamps.
So last question ..does 3/4 hose go from heater core to manifold or water pump??:confused:

I love this website!!!:D:D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts