Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been thinking about going with a bigger tube header do it think I would pick up or am I just wasting money. My combo 434 big roller dominator Wilson intake with ported 11x heads I am running 1 3/4 now thinking about trying 1 7/8 or 2in what's you opinions

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
I don't any experience with that big of cubic inches, but I would think at least the 1 7/8". I think you need the Stahl adapters for them.

A friend at work ran the 1 7/8" on his Chevy Luv(streeted a lot) with a 408. It ran 9.20-9.40s with a 250 shot of nitrous.

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
While you may find some et with a change, in my experiences if you got decent headers now and you find perfect headers tomorrow you'll see a couple 100ths maybe. The headers on my 582 are the headers I built for my old 468 and I can't justify spending the money just to change them with the only justification being a small amount of ET. If you ask 25 guys who made the same change you're thinking about I doubt you'll find anyone who picked up a tenth. Just my experience.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
While you may find some et with a change, in my experiences if you got decent headers now and you find perfect headers tomorrow you'll see a couple 100ths maybe. The headers on my 582 are the headers I built for my old 468 and I can't justify spending the money just to change them with the only justification being a small amount of ET. If you ask 25 guys who made the same change you're thinking about I doubt you'll find anyone who picked up a tenth. Just my experience.
Thanks this is kinda my thoughts it just hard for me to spend 1400$ on some lemon headers and take a chance of picking up nothing. Car running 6 teens on motor just trying to get it fast enough to run 6.0 class, if I can just get it to go straight having it scaled this week.

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
I picked up a 10th....but I changed my 2.5 exhaust with H pipe to "3 to "3-2.5 dr gas X pipe to mufflers and tails.

The headers were headmen 1-5/8 to 1-3/4 supercomps. The 1-5/8's were blocking exhaust port by 1/8 or more on each corner of every port.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Bigger will flow better with less restriction and has to help a bit overall, but only at the track. What does the rest of the exhaust consist of. Size/e pipe or H, also length, muffler chamber design.:D

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
Bigger will flow better with less restriction and has to help a bit overall, but only at the track. What does the rest of the exhaust consist of. Size/e pipe or H, also length, muffler chamber design.:D
Me? if so , same 2.5 ultraflo's and tail pipes. Mufflers foward were changed.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Dynatech stepped headers 1 3/4 to 1 7/8, coated or uncoated. Either way they're inexpensive and a quality product. And the dyno doesn't lie, these headers work. Pro stock stepped technology for the street and no stahl pattern adapters to mess with!

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
Dynatech stepped headers 1 3/4 to 1 7/8, coated or uncoated. Either way they're inexpensive and a quality product. And the dyno doesn't lie, these headers work. Pro stock stepped technology for the street and no stahl pattern adapters to mess with!
I have these on my car now, they are an excellent value. Got them as coated headers for $349 shipped to my door.

They have 3/8" flanges top and bottom along with a captured style collector gasket(flat sided donut style) that cannot and will not leak.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I gotta check these out

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
For your viewing pleasure - Dynatechs

Honestly I don't think you can beat this quality or price(I got mine from an old sponsor here for $349 shipped). Top notch header and fits my angle plug heads very well.

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
I have these on my car now, they are an excellent value. Got them as coated headers for $349 shipped to my door.

They have 3/8" flanges top and bottom along with a captured style collector gasket(flat sided donut style) that cannot and will not leak.
I sure wish I would of bought the Dynatechs when you did cause they are $580 now!:yes:

·
Registered
110 Posts
Are you over 500hp? If not I would stay with 1 3/4. If you are then 1 7/8 is a good choice. velocity has more of an effect than you might think in both intake and exhaust systems! Just think of it like running to big of a carburetor. If the openings are toi big, there is not enouph air speed to pull the fuel through the discharge nozzles in an efficient manor at slower engine speeds, therefore instead of the fuel becoming atomized into the incoming air the fuel drizzles out and collects on the intake manifold floor.
Exhaust gasses can be in the way of the incoming gases if the tubes are too big. This creates a poor vacuum to help suck out the incoming exhaust gases. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
110 Posts
This creates a poor vacuum to help suck out the incoming exhaust gases. Hope this helps.
What I meant was vacuum helps suck out the incoming exhaust gases. Smaller tubes create faster exhaust speeds to a point. Volume of exhaust needs to be accounted for obviously.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Are you over 500hp? If not I would stay with 1 3/4. If you are then 1 7/8 is a good choice. velocity has more of an effect than you might think in both intake and exhaust systems! Just think of it like running to big of a carburetor. If the openings are toi big, there is not enouph air speed to pull the fuel through the discharge nozzles in an efficient manor at slower engine speeds, therefore instead of the fuel becoming atomized into the incoming air the fuel drizzles out and collects on the intake manifold floor.
Exhaust gasses can be in the way of the incoming gases if the tubes are too big. This creates a poor vacuum to help suck out the incoming exhaust gases. Hope this helps.
Motor made 740hp on engine dyno

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
Motor made 740hp on engine dyno

What size headers was on it then? If you can get a set of coated steps for $350. I'd think about doing it. I expect to pay about $300 just to get headers stripped and coated inside and out from my 6.0 Nova. It use to be $200. but the price has gone up.

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
I sure wish I would of bought the Dynatechs when you did cause they are $580 now!:yes:
I got them a little over a year, no more than two years back when a sponsor(Don) was on here. Don't remember the name, I think it was JDM Motorsports. I know it was something Motorsports, want to say he had them drop shipped to me for full price including shipping which I stated earlier and it was $349.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I picked up a set of Dougs Headers coated and 1 7/8 into 3.5 inch non slip on type. Actually a nice looking and very functional header... $587 plus tax here in Coquitlam BC Canada! My motor made 678hp on the motor dyno with no bottle and I plan on spraying 250 minimum

1 - 20 of 20 Posts