Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:( I just completed the conversion from drum to disc brakes on my 69 Nova. I got all parts from Craigslist, installed everything finished last thing -vacuum line from intake mainfold to brake booster today. Not sure if where I am getting vacuum is the right place - port next to carburator that was not being used. I say this because when I pump the brake pedal engine shakes. Or maybe the booster is bad.
Any help to resolve this dilema would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yes it is and I did check it, it is good. I did find that the metal tube in the intake manifold next to the carb was loose. This is the tube I connected the booster vacuum line to. I pulled it out and found it has a small hole. I used JB weld and re-inserted the tube in the manifold, just waiting now for JB weld to dry, then going to try it again.
Ok, I tried it after JB weld dried, and still shakes, I'm thinking the booster diaphram is shot. Does anyone know if there is a way to check the booster, I don't want spend $80.00 to find out it wasn't the booster, so if there is a way to verify it is good or bad I would greatly apprecite the input.

·
Registered
89 Posts
booster leak

run engine for a couple of minutes. don't touch brakes. wait 3-4 minutes, the unplug check valve at the booster.if there no is internal leak ,you should hear the air going into booster.( the same sound when you crack open your favorite beverage)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Booster Leak Test

Booster passes the leak test, What else can cause the engine to shake other than a possible vacuum leak which I thought was causing it. :confused:

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
When exactly does this happen. Is it when you just sit in the car with it running or when you drive down the street and stop the car.

Are all the parts new or used.

Charley

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Engine shakes when stepping on brake pedal

I wish I could say when driving, but haven't gotten there yet. I just completed my disc brake conversion, when I step on the brake pedal to pump it and bleed the brakes the engine shakes which makes the whole car shake and rattle.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
At idle the booster is taking a lot of vacuum each time you pump the pedal to bleed the brakes. Sounds like its trying to stall the engine. Just bleed your brakes with the engine off. Once you get a good pedal then take it for a ride. Motor doesn't need to running to bleed the brakes.

Charley

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Help with Disc Brake Conversion engine shakes

Thank you Charley7, I will do that, hopefully before end of week, if not by this weekend.

Thanks again:D

by the way N-I-I-I-I-CE! 66

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm having trouble uploading pictures, I'm probably doing something wrong, but will keep trying.
If you are familiar with the inline 6 engines in novas, 68-73 between the valvecover and carburator there is a metal tube where the rubber line from the PCV valve on the valvecover goes to. That is where the vacuum line is connected. I found outlate last night from a guy in Hemet Cali. that knows Novas very well that the booster vacuum line does not go where I had it connected, and that is where the PCV valve line goes. The booster vacuum line is supposed to go connect to a 90 degree elbow on the outer side of the intake manifold in front of the accelerator linkage about 2 inches forward where there is a plug. I will be going to the pick your part this weekend to locate that 90 degree elbow fitting due to no auto parts around me has that elbow. Until then I will be buying a PCV valve and 3/8" fuel line to connect the PCV valve where and how it is supposed to be.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)

·
Registered
92 Posts
My 69 I just got is the the same green color as yours. It had a 6 also. Wish i had the console tho, oh yeah its got black California plates too:yes:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Help with Disc Brake Conversion

I think got this thing right, that is on posting pictures on threads, well here goes the picture where the booster vacuum hose should be connected. So I bought a PCV valve and hose to connect it where it goes. I have not uploaded pictures of where I first connected the booster vacuum hose but it is between the carb. and the valve cover, on the intake manifold. 1quik69, I will post a picture as soon as I can. Somewhere along the line from changing owners, the PCV valve was removed, a piece of plastic tubing and hose was installed where PCV valve shoul be. and hose was routed down the right side of the engine and zip tied to the oil dipstick. I installed an elbow fitting where the booster vacuum hose is supposed to be connected and installed the hose. I will post pictures of the booster vacuum hose connected as it should be connected on a 6 cylinder. I now stepped on the brake pedal and who-o-a-a-la no more shaking, I was told by not having the PCV valve in place caused the enging to shake for some unexpained reason. I now tried bleeding the brakes, did the rears, but the front had no brake fluid coming out the bleeder screws. Turns out the brake hoses (both fronts) are plugged up. I thought caliper pistons were siezed, so I traced fluid grom master cylinder down to the calipers, & no fluid from the end of the brake hose connecting to the calipers. Regardless I filled my compressor introduced air into the caliper to ensure piston was not siezed and they are not ( whe-e-e-w) glad i don't have to replace calipers. I ordered the brake hoses from my local auto parts and will pick up today after work, and will install, bleed and if all goes well my 69 will be on the road again with disc brakes.

http://s1201.beta.photobucket.com/u...rt=3&o=2&_suid=135974600959707050386763810768

http://s1201.beta.photobucket.com/u...rt=3&o=0&_suid=135974715320901721141036309452

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
Here you go

Click on the image code to copy it, then come over here and paste it here.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Thanks sbc1320, I'll get the hang of posting pics one of these days.
Finally got the brake hoses, but did not fit, apparently the disc brake spindles, rotors, calipers I bought used are from a 73 Nova, I was told from 72. Brake hoses from 70 -72 are the same, but 73 -74 are different in two ways, 1) they have a mounting clip on the hose, and 2) the end that bolts to the caliper is not as tall therefore the banjo bolt will not be long enough if you try to install 70-72 brake hoses. So I had return the hoses and re-order the 73-74 hoses. Got them today, installed, bleed brakes, and good to go, YEAH!:)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts