Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I am going to put a 700R4 in my 66. I am looking for a core to have redone. Can someone please point me in the right direction for which Years or applications to look for or avoid?

Thanks much !!!

·
Registered
363 Posts
I believe 700R after 1984 were 30 spline and updates though 1987 had most of the common failures corrected. The "K" case transmissions were for 4 wheel drive trucks thus thicker cases and supposedly stronger. Having said this if your going to have it rebuilt, you can have the newest / latest parts installed. I found a 1989 K case for $100 and had it rebuilt for my 67. Bolts right up, clears trans turned but you will have to shorten drive shaft if changing out a Powerglide.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Forgot to add that if you do have a PG and console shifter, Shiftworks has a kit that will enable you to use stock shifter with the 700R.

·
Premium Member
51 Posts

This explains it better than I could but I split two standard cases with my 383sbc. The truck case also has a solid bolt on bottom cover. If I was to build another one I'd definately look for a truck "K" case and flywheel cover. Also, the 88 and up cases were improved over the earlier ones.

HTH

Steve

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
i use a stock power glide shifter an console with a 700r4. an used the conversion kit from shift works. an this is in a 66. shift works also has the original neutral safety switch for that shifter.

·
Premium Member
72, 2 Dr, 383, 700r4
1,319 Posts
I didn't see this mentioned but another exterior indicator of the improved 700-R4 is the rainbow seam over the cooler input/output ports.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello all, I am going to put a 700R4 in my 66. I am looking for a core to have redone. Can someone please point me in the right direction for which Years or applications to look for or avoid?

Thanks much !!!
I put a 700 r4 in my 66 with a Dyno 490 HP ,383 2700 stall I would not do it again would go with a TH400 or 350, new tranny's got wimpy shifts and mpg is unchanged look

·
Registered
22 Posts
Put a 700r4 in my 74 spirit of America. Had my tranny guy change some valves and springs do not need a computer to control the shifts. Love it cruising at 75 mph 2400 rpm 16+ mph. 400 horse 355 15” rear tires 3:42 rear gears. What’s not to like.

·
Registered
80 Posts

Thanks much !!!
Reman 4L60E or 4L65E mite be better use of ur cash. Aftermkt controlers allow complete adjustment of all charactistics

1 - 10 of 10 Posts