Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all,
I recently started rebuliding a dream car, but it is turning into a nightmare. The wiring for my 74 nova is all jacked up. thing are everywhere and no schematic will tell me what i need to know. I have no rebuld experiance but would love to learn, i am an eletrican( so i am a bit dissapointed that i can't get simple wiring problems corrected), so i know how to deal with schematics and eletricity. Well first off, what are the colors for the gauges ( fuel,batt,temp,oil pressure). they are all out and the back is just a "cluster fudge" of wires. no gauges were hooked up. if anyone can help me with the hook up instructon to these guages i'd really appriciate it. thanks
john

·
Registered
1974 Nova, 1977 Nova
2,055 Posts
Hi John,

Welcome to Steve's Nova Site!

74novajohn said:
Well first off, what are the colors for the gauges ( fuel,batt,temp,oil pressure). they are all out and the back is just a "cluster fudge" of wires. no gauges were hooked up. if anyone can help me with the hook up instructon to these guages i'd really appriciate it.
I assume your car is equipped with the optional gauge package that is mounted near the front of the console. If that is the case, the factory wire sizes & colors are as follows:

20ga pink = +12V feed to fuel and temp gauge
20ga tan = sending unit connection to fuel gauge
20ga dark green = sending unit connection to temp gauge
20ga black = ground
14ga black & 14ga black w/dbl white stripe = batt gauge (ammeter)

The factory oil pressure gauge is mechanical so there aren't any wires connected to that.

The wiring diagram I have also shows a 20ga grey wire running down to the console and branching off (factory in-line splice) to the four bulbs that illuminate the gauges.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts