Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i'm currently working on a project its a 72 deuce. If you want to know more about what im doing go to the thread " '72 nova roller project " Thread that i started. i wanted to remove the rear and front windsheilds including the trim. If you guys could provide me with directions that are somewhat simple to follow that would be great.

·
Premium Member
2,057 Posts
To remove the trim around the windows you will need a tool something like this.

You lay it flat on the glass and use it to release the clips holding the trim. Somebody else might know another way, but this is the way I did it for my Nova and managed not to mangle any trim.

To remove the windshield you can use a tool like this.

You insert the cutting edge under the glass and draw the tool around the window, cutting the old gasket away from the windsheid. Just know there is no guarantee you will remove the glass without breaking it.

·
Premium Member
2,895 Posts
Those are the correct tools for the job. The knife is called a "cable" knife or a "cold" knife.

·
3,863 Posts
You will be very lucky to not break the windshield. Fortunately they are relatively cheap to replace. Now the back window is another story. Mucho buckage, but it is harder to break.

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
I've done a few of them with box knives and wire (brake cable from Bicycles), the most important thing is to take your time. Make sure all the adhesive is cut and slowly push the window out (where gloves, open your hand and lay your palms flat on the glass while pushing slow), glass will NOT flex, so take your time. Stop pushing if the glass isn't moving and recut the glue.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Use cable like taz says.I've done many this way and have never broken one.Tried that tool on a couple junk cars with poor results.Go slow good luck.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Those windshield cutting tools suck-do not use that! Breakage occurs very often with those tools.

I have to pull the glass on all the restorations I do and haven't broken any in many many years, here's a run down on the basic proceedure-it is easy!!!

Remove the trim, if you're worried about scratching the glass during the trim removal use some tape on the tool or slide a piece of poster board or similar under it while you release the clips-these tools will scratch the glass if you're not careful.

Next, get yourself some single strand piano wire, it'll cost you around $10 and last for the next 50 windshields. Cut a length of wire approx 6 feet long. Take the wire inside the car and with needle nose piers push one end of the wire upwards in the middle of the windshield near the mirror, the wire will push through the sealer, take the other end of the wire and do the same on the bottom of the glass, now on the outside of the windshiels you'll see the ends of the wire poking through the sealer-grab them with your needlenose and pull the slack out so you have the two ends of the wire and the center of the wire is running on the inside of the car under the glass. Wrap the wire around something as a handle-this can be anything from a piece of wood to a screw driver handle. Now with one end of the wire in one hand and the other in the other start sawing through the sealer and work your way to the left or right side of the glass, when you cut your way all the way out then start the proceedure again from the middle of the glass and cut your way to the other side. The chance of breakage doing it this way is almost none. I can cut a windshield or back glass out in less than 15 minutes doing it this way. As you cut watch your wire so it doesn't get caught on any trim studs and it's very easy.

Cable/multi strand type wires also work but can also be a pain to get started since you need to start from one edge. The piano wire is very thin and stout and can be pushed through the sealer with ease.

Years ago I always cut these out with wire using a two man technique with one person pulling on the wire inside the car and one out but breakage was common usually on the last corner. Doing it as a one man job and cutting both the top and bottom of the glass while pulling on both ends of the wire is the best way.

·
Premium Member
2,895 Posts
Those windshield cutting tools suck-do not use that! Breakage occurs very often with those tools.

That is NOT true I use the cable knife EVERY day and have LITERALLY saved 1000's of WINDSHIELDS!!! The problem is the blades that come with MOST of these knives are not sharp enough and MOST people think they need to MUSCLE the blade through the glue. If you take your time and sharpen the blade you can save the glass. Let the blade cut through the glue, you DON'T have to be HEMAN to cut out a windshield. UNLESS you remove the trim and find the glass is pressed tightly against the pinchweld. Then the wire method is going to work better. OR, call a professional!

Stupesnova

Master Auto Glass Tech for 16 years.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
That is NOT true I use the cable knife EVERY day and have LITERALLY saved 1000's of WINDSHIELDS!!! The problem is the blades that come with MOST of these knives are not sharp enough and MOST people think they need to MUSCLE the blade through the glue. If you take your time and sharpen the blade you can save the glass. Let the blade cut through the glue, you DON'T have to be HEMAN to cut out a windshield. UNLESS you remove the trim and find the glass is pressed tightly against the pinchweld. Then the wire method is going to work better. OR, call a professional!

Stupesnova

Master Auto Glass Tech for 16 years.

Maybe you should have posted that info sooner, hope the kid didn't buy the tool and break his glass if the blades need to be modified. With the tool years ago I had less than a 10% success rate for sure-that's why I say they suck. I don't think I've ever broken glass with the wire proceedure I outlined above. I just don't want to see the kid break the glass, no reason he needs to hire a professional for something this simple.

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Old Timer

All the info you've gotten from this thread is good.

I did a lot of windshield and back glass replacements and re-installs In very high end cars. Right from the start my first words were if it breaks you buy it. If its over your head, which has been said before let someone with some skill do it. The initial tool to pull the clips is fairly simple. but you might want some one to give you a start. I have used a cold knife, hot knife, piano wire which is the best if you have a helper especially with glass. In the late 60's and through the 70's a lot of GM vehicles had a tendency to collect water in the back glass tray and would start to rust. keep this in mind as you do your project. You may have more work to do with the back glass out. The other thing was when they went from 3M replacement tape to silicone, (because of the ant. in the W/S) it was important to use a hot knife or piano wire. Also make sure you have the right clips available in case you need replacements. and a good brush on adhesive. before you set your tape. This will help keep water out. if you get caught in the rain and can't blow it out later.

Good Luck,
Ross

1 - 10 of 10 Posts