Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just started snowing a bit, about half an inch on the ground..i started the car, it started fine, and i let it warm up to normal operating temperature. Took it for a drive, and when i push the accelator down any more than just feathering it, the engine sounds like its struggling and its trying to get higher in the RPMs. Its does every 4 seconds then it goes back to struggling. I looked around google, and i read somewhere about fuel lines freezing up. I did have just 1/4 of a tank of gas, but i filled up right away and i still have engine struggle. Could it be the cold? Ive driven it with no problem when it was below freezing b4, but this is my first snowstorm with the 69 nova. Its got a 350 in it with a holley double pumper.

·
Premium Member
4,612 Posts
it's possible.all metal tanks condensate a little and occasionally you'll pick up some contaminated(water mostly) fuel.normally the gas will float on top,but if you've accumulated a bit of water(and the fuel level is low) it's possible that your fuel pump has sucked up a bit and it's starting to freeze.go to a drug store and purchase some methyl hydrate.put 4 oz. into the fuel system and take it for a run.the methyl hydrate will surround the water molecules and allow them to gradually pass through the system.*NOTE*- this only works with a small amount of water(1/2 a gallon or less) anymore and it will continue to freeze and corrode your fuel system over time.it's possible the fuel fiter(designed to capture some of this stuff) is frozen too.
good luck!
leftcoast carl.

·
Registered
257 Posts
If you can't find what Carl is talking about try to find something called "Heat" at your local auto store. It's more or less the same stuff...it absorbs any water in the gas. Up here in the nether regions it's pretty common in the winter. It gets really cold at night (read 30 below zero). When the temps start to rise the water condenses in the fuel tank. Drop in some isopropyl alcohol and it absorbs the water...problem solved.

I won't badger you about driving a rear wheel drive car in the snow (it's fun pestering the Camaro and Mustang guys with my WRX on bad roads :) If your motor is sputtering you've likely got some water in the tank.

·
Registered
566 Posts
you can dump in a bottle of isopropyl alcohol. It will absorb into the water in the fuel line, making it flamable. ( and will melt out any ice ).

If ya got a half pint of shine, it will work even better!

·
Registered
932 Posts
cold cold COLD!?!?!? gimmie a break we just had a cold snap lastnight NEGITIVE 30 FARINFIGHT yes -30F
u try firin up your diesel no plugged in no grid heates godammit made me late for work by 2hours this morrning l had to let it warm up befor the damn transmittion would shift

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
you drive your 69 nova in the snow???? maybe your car is giving you a hint as to not to drive in the snow,salt and sand and thats why its hesitating......

1 - 9 of 9 Posts