Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
parts ive replaced- plugs,wires,fuel filter and suspect looking vacuum tee.

drive down the road and feel loss of pedal and it stalls.it does not have a vacuum leak (sprayed carb cleaner and covered top of carb using choke method). i am leaning toward a fuel pump which is what it feels like while driving.it is squirting gas into the carb but i am thinking its not pumping enough fuel while driving.after it stalls it starts right up and may or may not stall again further down the road.any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
?

would the module cause an intermitten throttle responce ? i never really thought about that as a culprit. it is a mallory distributor and the module was replaced a couple of years ago, just never thought it would cause a problem like this maybe i should look into it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
You mentioned the carb squirters still have gas when stalls. Check the fuel level in the float bowl(s) next time it stalls. If the engine is shut right off and the bowl(s) are full, it's not the fuel pump.

Check the fuel level in the bowl(s) after it starts up and runs. If the float level is set super low, you could be running out of fuel when driving, before the pump has time to fill the bowl up.

Another thought- a clogged "fuel sock" in the gas tank can do the same thing as a dirty fuel filter or bad pump.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lol

how do you change the float level? its an edelbrock and really have had no issues with this carb.

·
Premium Member
4,125 Posts
Do you have a glass or plastic fuel filter? If so, how much fuel is in it when it dies? If it's dry, then here's a thought (if you KNOW your fuel pump is good) There is a "sock" filter on the fuel pickup in the tank which can and does colapse from time to time. This will cause the symptoms you're reporting. It starts off happening only in periods of high fuel demand, but as it gets worse it will do it randomly. Sometimes you can blow it clear off the pickup (this is not a bad thing if you have a good inline fuel filter) by blowing back through the line with high pressure air.

Chuck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts