Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having trouble installing my quarter windows:

I've removed the interior trim, except this piece:

How the **** do you get it out? I discovered it's held in by 3 bolts, by breaking one of them on accident. But how do you access the bolts?

Am I doing this wrong?

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! On my "to-do" list is to repaint the interior panels, but I wasn't planning on doing it this soon. You can see some battle damage in the photos from my unsuccessful attempts to remove the panel.

Ovrdrive: I'm glad you saw this thread... if I get too stumped on this, I may just drive 'er over to Leonardtown and let you straighten me out! I've been following your build thread and I'm anxious to see that green Nova.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Thanks!!!

My company has me working night shift again until we hire on a new replacement supervisor for the night shift. Hopefully within a couple of months, before spring!!, I will finally be on the 1st shift.

Do you have the capability to look under the rear seat? If so, is there a bracket that's holding the rear panels in place or, the 4th Gens got rid of that stainless bracket in favor of something else. In the 3rd Gens, there's a 90 degreee bracket that holds the bottom part of the door panel down.

There's one way to find out. Push back and up on the forward edge of the rear seat. This will loosen it from the floor lock and you should be able to remove the lower section of the rear seat. For the life of me, I'm trying to remember back in the days when I had a 77 if there was something else holding those in.

What we really need is a 1977 Fisher Body Manual. This manual should have the IPB break-down of the interior..

Dan

·
Registered
44 Posts
I am having trouble installing my quarter windows:

I've removed the interior trim, except this piece:

How the **** do you get it out? I discovered it's held in by 3 bolts, by breaking one of them on accident. But how do you access the bolts?

Am I doing this wrong?
you have to take seat and then the panel and after that good luck its a pain

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Many thanks! Do both halves of the back seat have to come out, or just the bottom half? I've never taken the top half out... anything special about it? I didn't see any hardware on the trunk side.

·
Registered
265 Posts
oh and before you try to put those windows back in.. i recommend you strip the paint off where the adhesive and glass meet. If there is paint there.. and your going 70 cruisin down the interstate with the window down.. the glass will pop out and go bye bye. True story.. saw it happen once. good luck tracking down and replacing that glass these days....

·
Super Moderator
12,022 Posts
The channels were painted from the factory and they did not come out easily. Maybe the one that popped out was not installed properly. I have seen inexperienced people trim the rubber to get them out which weakens the the rubber.

·
Registered
582 Posts
oh and before you try to put those windows back in.. i recommend you strip the paint off where the adhesive and glass meet. If there is paint there.. and your going 70 cruisin down the interstate with the window down.. the glass will pop out and go bye bye. True story.. saw it happen once. good luck tracking down and replacing that glass these days....
Not to disbelieve your story, Im sure there were other factors at play. But there is no adhesive used on the glass or rubber there, either in the factory manual or in reality. You apply a sealant caulk that is non-drying and non-adhesive. The rubber lip, if properly applied, is extremely strong.

DPack, love your factory rally wheels.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What is the correct sealant caulk to use under the rubber seal? I used the "rope" trick to get the driver's side window in, and I thought if I used any sealant, the rope would just pull it out and make a huge mess. I did replace the thin (1/2") foam "gasket" with a comparable foam weatherstripping. Everything is still removed, so I can make the fix if necessary without much trouble.

BTW--thanks regarding the wheels! The fronts are the original 14x6s that were ordered with the car, the backs are Wheel Vintiques 15x8 replicas. I have the other 14x6s and a matching spare in the garage. I did a poor job repainting them, which I hope to fix this spring, but I digress...

·
Registered
582 Posts
For my 77 I used a bead of 3M Strip Caulk (black) bought at NAPA. Just one bead applied outside the metal lip, didnt make any mess. Also, I did reinstall a new foam strip. The manual says 3 beads sealant (glass, inner, outer...) but that would truly be a mess and a hassle. On the other hand, the manual says nothing of the foam strip which is always there from the factory, so much for consistency...

My other Nova had them installed without any sealant and there are no leaks. If you want to be on the very safe side you can reinstall...

Any minor leaks in the window are not apt to go inside the car but into the front of the rear fender which has a good drain hole that you should periodically open and clean (with a rubber grommet in front of the rear wheel), or you can open a drain hole at the bottom.

I had my front rear fender enclosure blasted from the top holes with a Karcher, had a ton of dust and mud in there.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Awesome. Thanks to everybody for all the info. The experience on this site is invaluable!

·
Registered
504 Posts
Maybe you don't want to hear this. But if it were me I would call a professional in your area who specializes in classic cars and spend the money and have them do it. You have put in alot of time and effort into the paint and stuff why risk it by installing it yourself. If the glass comes out because they install it, then they have to pay for the repairs. If you install it and it comes out, you have to pay for the repairs.

I sent you this reply in a pm.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Maybe you don't want to hear this. But if it were me I would call a professional in your area who specializes in classic cars and spend the money and have them do it. You have put in alot of time and effort into the paint and stuff why risk it by installing it yourself. If the glass comes out because they install it, then they have to pay for the repairs. If you install it and it comes out, you have to pay for the repairs.

I sent you this reply in a pm.
So much for doing it yourself...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts