Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just purchased a used engine on Qualityautoparts.com for my 1974 Chevy Nova. I received it today and I'm worried that they sent the wrong one. The mounts on the engine are almost twice as wide as the old ones... The old mounts which I took off the engine have the same hole schedule so they will fit; they are just alot smaller. And the fly wheel or flex plate (I'm a rookie I know) has 6 holes for connecting to the converter instead of 3 and the holes are situated at a much larger radius than the converter's mounts. Am I forgetting a part? I don't have my old engine anymore as the autoschool that was gonna rebuild it, (before learning that the block was beyond repair), well they scrapped it. Can anyone help me.... Did I get the wrong engine? Does anyone recognize the issue here? Again...the new flywheel or flex plate has 6 holes and they are quite a bit farther spaced apart. Thank you in advance. I know I'm a novice here so thankyou for your patience.

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
not uncommon for a flex plate to have 6 holes,turn converter until they match up.bigger mounts? ya lost me there.

·
Premium Member
1,725 Posts
Firstly, welcome to the site.

You may get more answers to your questions if you post in the drivetrain section. This section is kinda for oddball stuff.

As far as the mounts go, not sure exactly what you are questioning. Did the new engine come with mounts? Did you keep your old ones? Do the new ones not bolt up to your frame mounts? Pictures would be very helpful here.

As far as your flexplate goes, did you keep your old one? If not, I would get another flexplate that mates to your converter. Pictures of your question would also be helpful here

Which new engine did you purchase? 1955 to 1979 are almost identical, in 1980? went to the passenger side oil dipstick. There is another 350 out there, an LT1 that was in between the Gen 1 and LS motors. Any Gen I engine should fit in your car with minimal work. You will need the right mounts for your frame but it should be a simple fix.

Ray

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks Ray... I did keep the old mounts. They mounts as I see them are in 2 parts. The part that attaches to the chassis, (A) and the part that attaches to the block, (B) The holes in the new block line up with the holes in the old B mounts. So I think the old ones will work, I've been looking for flex plates with 3 holes and have not had any luck. I attached a link with pics to the previous post. I tried placing a URL to the image on this post. Did it show?

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
there are many different type of mounts that bolt to the engine and then to your frame mounts.

AS for the fly wheel yes all GM torque converters have 3 mounting points the new fly wheel is most likely just double drilled.......take your old fly wheel and put them side by side to check....

OR just put the old fly wheel on the new motor.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
First thing you need to do is relax. Take a breath ... The flex plate probably has different holes for different sized converters. Only 3 holes will be used - if they don't lineup then either get a new flex plate or new converter. The 3 pics in your FB album - I did not see a pic of the motor. The one pic is of the frame mount for the motor mount. There is another mount that bolts to the block and then to the frame mount..

You need a photobucket account to link in the pics - use the google search bar in the center on hot to post pics.. It will all work out -

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Here is the fly wheel i have in my car.........you can see it has 6 mounting points for the torque converter......but you only use every other hole......they are double drilled to make them balanced...........also if you take the motor out remember to keep using the same holes

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you Gregs72 and So Cal. I have registered with photobucket. The hole radius (that is if we were to draw a circle connecting the holes on the converter) is about 1 to 1.5" smaller than the flywheel on the new engine. Looks like I need to get new flywheel. I don't have the old one to use as they scrapped it at the auto repair school. I believe the mounts will work.

·
Registered
26,336 Posts
BEST THING IS TO GET THEM PICS UP, WE CAN HELP ALOT BETTER IF WE CAN SEE WHAT YOU'RE SPEAKIN' ABOUT! IF THE FLYWHEEL THEY SENT IS INCORRECT, HAVE THEM SEND THE RIGHT ONE TO YOU!
:pics:

·
Premium Member
2,354 Posts
The six holes in the flexplate aren't for balancing. They are usually two different diameters for two different convertor sizes. His plate should be neutral balanced for a 350. Dave

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you 65 Post. I checked and your right. 3 holes are set at a smaller radius than the other 3. However.... the tighter radius is still to large for my converter. I believe I've gotten the pictures down. I will try inserting all 3 to this post. The engine is still at the print shop where I work. I will be power washing it today and removing the flywheel, exhaust manifolds, and carb to attach the engine mount and move it to my garage. I bought this car up north in 2009 for 5000.00. It is in good shape accept for some rust bubbling on the passenger side. The inside is almost perfect. The previous owner had it souped up a bit and put it into storage. It has only 54000 miles on it. So 75 miles into my drive home the engine blew and blew big. Holes in the oil pan, dents up to 1/8 inch deep in the cylinder walls. So a had it brought home on a flatbed where it has sat since sept. of 2009. I finally got the money together for this used engine. My wife and I live very frugally here in Detroit metro so every dollar counts. (which is why I couldn't afford a crate engine or something refurbished.) Thank you guys so much for the help. I'm sure I'll have a hundred more questions as I'm installing this thing. Hope I have the photo process figured out.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
new photos and flexplate trouble

Ok I have uploaded several pictures onto my photo album. I click insert image and copy the URL to that album.

I have researched for hours and here is what I have so far. The flexplate that i took off my new engine (used 1974 nova engine from qualityautoparts.com) has 2 bolt patterns. One at 10.5" and one at 11.5" (roughly). My converter has a bolt pattern of about 10". One of the pics on in my album shows the new flexplate hanging on the converter with one bolt. I used the 10.5" bolt pattern and you can see how much larger it is. I have not been able to find a single flexplate for sale with a 10" (roughly) bolt pattern. 2 things to note. The old engine which has been scrapped was a V8. My VIN number on the car lists the engine code as D which is suppose to be a 250 L6 1 Barrel. So I believe the engine has already been replaced once from a L6 to the V8 I blew and then was scrapped.
Not sure if they replaced the transmission yet... I will look for Identification code on that next. I haven't removed it from the car and am hoping not too so I hope the number is visible.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts