Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Moneys been tight since we moved back into the house (still haven't got everything done just like I won't it). Got to dreaming:rolleyes: about what wheels to go with when my $1 here $5 there Nova budget reachs the magic number.... So help a man decide on a dream. I've decided on the engine build have it typed out and saved. Now for wheels unsure of size 15" 16" or 17" one of the three no mismatching front and back sizes. I think I want Torque Thrust IIs I like the look and it reminds me of what hotrods looked like in my dads day. Widths and back spacing will be decided depending on wheel size as will the tires. I'm thinking any where from 4"-7" on the front and 8"-9" on the rear depending on wheel diameter. 1st pick is the subject car (mine) I may add Yenko stripes later and have always wanted a stinger hood but never got to it. The car will probably never be raced but will be driven often 20-40 miles every other weekend or so. The roads here are somwhat rough but the highways are good. The other cars are for comparison. So help a man plan a dream what size wheel would you go with on my car. Oh ya the bumpers will be smooth and the front will be a cross between the Foose Nova and the Yenko SS in the photo. So lets here it:D
[/IMG]

·
Premium Member
2,053 Posts
if you decide to run a big wheel like a 17-18" you will need to lower it. If you keep the same size you can get away with a little more tread...I think a good rule of them is to atleast have the fender lip near the tops of the tire..

But you need to decide the look, you want. cuz the wheels your thinking about can change the entire look your after, maybe good maybe bad

·
Premium Member
1968 Chevy II Nova, Central Arkansas
1,991 Posts
no mismatching front and back sizes
You may want to reconsider that. If you are going to stay with something stock like you have you can get away with that but if you are wanting to go with some big wheels you can some times get a better fit by using different wheel and tire sizes front and back. I know that limits your tire rotation but driving less than 100 miles a month your tires will expire before they wear out.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Paint the wheels you have ! I think they look good .....save your cash for other mods.
What he said! the rally's look perfect ,maybe paint them body color, everyone has the torque thrush style wheels, they are getting old just like the draglites, rally's are timeless! A rally nova stripe would also be perfect on your 72'.

·
Premium Member
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So yall think I should just paint the Rallies a darker silver (not much on the body color match to much blue for me but I apprecate your opinion).

When I said no mismatch I ment 17" in front and 18" in back. I will diffenantly run the widest tire I can squeeze in the back.

So far the Rallies are winning didn't expect that at all.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
I ordered my rear rims already 17x9 v45s from Vintage Wheel works. They helped me decide on what sizes I should go with besides they did a right up in Car Craft or something with a Nova and V40s. I looked around to see what rims looked good and what rims I didnt like on my Nova but its all up to you. Photoshop also helps alot. Just find some rims that look good and do a google image search with those rims on which cars then go from there. Price will affect what rims you should get too. I still need to figure what I need up front but I havent gotten my spindles or a brake setup to take measurements. My spindles have been on backorder for about 2 months now. Still waiting:rolleyes:

Vintage Wheel Works were nice enough to hold a spare set of centers for me so they match when I order my fronts. Ill take pictures when they finally get here.

·
Premium Member
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Second picture you posted looks like the 45s but the 40s looks similar. Of course it looks like the rims in the above picture are a smaller rim. The first picture you posted is hard to make out but looks like them too.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
I think I remember the Nova in the mag you mentioned was it light blue (almost like the 2nd pic) and they done a disc brake conversion (may have 4-wheel not sure) and maybe lowered it too.

Do you have any pics of the rear tires mounted on your car?
No tires ordered yet 275/40/17 maybe 285. My rims should be here shortly as I got a mail response that they already shipped.

heres the article it was superchevy:

http://www.superchevy.com/technical/chassis/brakes/sucp_0806_chevy_nova_disc_brake_conversion/index.html

1 - 12 of 12 Posts