Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This thing is so jammed on there I'm beginning to question if it has a backwards thread.. I've never done it before..

Do I turn it clockwise or counterclockwise to get it off??

I placed a ramp under the rear wheel that wants to turn and placed a jack under the wrench :devil: I just want to make absolutely sure I'm turning it the right way before I proceed.. Thats alot of torque..

-Tom

·
Registered
7,041 Posts
lefty loosey/righty tighty turn counterclockwise to loosen:)
shouldnt tell ya this but you may need a bar on end of wrench for more leaverage.just dont blame me for busted knuckles

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried using a breaker bar but the thing wants to wind up and I don't have enough room for the "swing" of a big bar under the car before it hits the chassis. I think the rubber tire is flexing as I apply torque to the nut.. I'll go out there and give it another shot.. i just wanted to make sure I was turning it the right way.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I didn't have one but living near PCPete I was able to drive over and borrow one :turn: NPHP

The air impact wrench even struggled getting it off :eek: But it came off second try.

The seal was made out of paper or asbestos or something.. Really weird.. My new one is made out of neoprene.

-Tom

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
Try grabbing the yoke with a large pipe wrench and wedge it against the ground or against the chassis and now you wont have to fight the pinion trying to rotate. Any it is standard rotation threads. Be aware that the impact could chip teeth on the gears JMO.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts