Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I feel like a dork for even asking this question, but I just can't figure it out. Can someone tell me how to remove the rear seat on a '71? I want to install a new package tray, but can't for the life of me figure out where the seat, especially the upper/back part is secured. Bottom 1st, top 1st? HELP!..lol :eek:

·
Registered
577 Posts
The seat bottom has to be removed first. To remove it, push rearward with your knees on the seat bottom and then pull upward to release it. After you get the bottom out you will see bolts in the corners holding the seat back in. Take those out and then lift up on the seat back panel to release it.

Dan

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
They're fun to remove, to say the least!:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
Actually it goes down, towards the rear and THEN up. Here's a blown up photo of the hook. It's crap quality because the picture wasn't of the hook and I had to really blow it up. There's one on the passenger side and one on the driver side. It's a real bitch ...and if you can get someone to help you, then that's a big help.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,176 Posts
This diagram should help you visualize what your up against. Remove the two anchor bolts on bottom ("B") bend open the two bendable tabs ("D") on each lower side, and lift off the seat back from the three hanging hooks on the top.

Attachments

·
Registered
134 Posts
I fought with that Rod on the seat and just couldn't get it to go back far enough to release. The carpet was out so I finally took a piece of 1" conduit and cut it into 2 pieces. I put one down through the drain plug hole in the floor. And the other piece back under the seat to get enough leverage to force that rod to release. I'm just hopping I can get it hooked when I reinstall the seat bottom as I have all new interior in now.

Good Luck...

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
I was able to reach under and push the bar down and back to remove my seat, they are tricky until you move them the correct way and they seem to pop right out or in, go figure.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to all of you guys for the tips, and saving me a headache and sore back. Now I've gotta figure out a way to sucker my brother into coming over to help me..lol..thanks again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts