Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 70 Nova has a top radiator support plate that isn't the correct width. As you can see in the picture, it doesn't extend to the tank on the drivers side.
I have bought 3 different new plates and none are the correct with. The one that is on the car is for a 21" wide core, and the radiator that is in it has a 23" wide core. I thought that maybe it has the wrong radiator, but the OEM hoses fit fine. (Ignore the universal hose in the picture, the OEM one is on it now.)
Any suggestions?

If all else fails, I guess I could cut two of them up and make one the correct size, but buying the correcto one would be easier.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Looks like you have a BB radiator in your car it has a 23" core. The SB radiator should be a 21 inch core. You have the correct top for a SB car... Does your radiator bolt to the core support. If so it is a BB radiator.. If not then its the wrong one for your car. SB radiators are held in place by the top plate you mentioned. Hope this helps.....

Jason

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks like you have a BB radiator in your car it has a 23" core. The SB radiator should be a 21 inch core. You have the correct top for a SB car... Does your radiator bolt to the core support. If so it is a BB radiator.. If not then its the wrong one for your car. SB radiators are held in place by the top plate you mentioned. Hope this helps.....

Jason
It doesn't bolt to the support, it sets in rubber mounts on the bottom of the core support. There are provisions in the core support for both 21" and 23" cores.

Did A/C cars have a wider radiator?

·
Registered
871 Posts
Nope: my AC car has a 21" 3 core radiator. Looks like you have a radiator from another car. If it is bothering you then it looks like you need a radiator. But if it is working you can always just take 2 panels and make one work for your car like you stated. That is the easiest solution with out buying the correct size radiator.

·
Premium Member
4,554 Posts
Looks as though your core support is drilled for a BB radiator already. Order a BB radiator support top plate and you should be good.

Pull your the plate and see if there are extra holes at the middle and far right (the one you can already see). Ground up has the top plates for a big block car.

T,

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks as though your core support is drilled for a BB radiator already. Order a BB radiator support top plate and you should be good.

Pull your the plate and see if there are extra holes at the middle and far right (the one you can already see). Ground up has the top plates for a big block car.

T,
There are four holes, one on the right side, one in the middle and two, about two inches apart on the left side. All have nuts welded on the underside of the support.

Got a link to a BB top plate?
The one on Ground Up is the same dimensions as mine is. I thought BB radiators bolted to the back side of the support and had a rubber flap on the top.

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
The 69 & 70 BB use a rubber flap with a small bracket, but the rad will need to be bolted to the support.

·
Premium Member
4,554 Posts
There are four holes, one on the right side, one in the middle and two, about two inches apart on the left side. All have nuts welded on the underside of the support.

Got a link to a BB top plate?
The one on Ground Up is the same dimensions as mine is. I thought BB radiators bolted to the back side of the support and had a rubber flap on the top.
The BB plate on Ground Up has 4 holes, evenly spaced. I would almost bet since your radiator does not have provisions for bolting to the core support, that you probably have a BB radiator out of a Chevelle or Camaro.

Check this link.

http://www.ss396.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=chevellecamino&Product_Code=AP-789K

T,

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts