Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings, boys. I proudly own nova custom 75. It has a 292, l6 engine, 350 automatic transmission.

Last week, when I went to turn it on, I heard a sound coming from the front, I thought I had locked the engine for the time I didn't use it for about 6 months. I lift the bonnet and put my son to start it and continued hearing the same sound in the engine, the pulley turns, and discarded the engine lock. When I look for it I see that it comes out of the starter, that is to say sometimes it sounds or it pulls sometimes not, a sound as if the mechanism locks or it loosens the pinion and it skids where it connects to the engine. Then the solenoid burned.

Disassemble the starter motor and lubricate it completely and I could see that where the fork is hooked the piece was divided in two, ie one went down with the spring and the other not. I thought that's what was wrong. So I went to a store and replaced that piece with one that wouldn't split.

My questions are:

Is the engine locked?
I have to change the whole starter.
I just replace the solenoid and risk it burning again?

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
:waving:Welcome from Wisconsin! USA. :horse: Pics?

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Hi there and, WELCOME to SNS .

292 I-6 in a 75 Nova is very cool .... like too see those pictures of your engine .

and, for your question about your starter :

go under your hood and remove all the spark-plugs ; then jack-up your car ; look under car for a "flywheel cover" at the front bottom of your transmission. Remove that cover ; then, with a large 'screw-driver' , insert at the fly-wheel and try to turn your engine. The motor should turn Ok .... if the motor will-Not-turn --- then, something has your engine locked-up. Does that sound O K.
After turning your engine, then, you can re-install your spark-plugs.
Problem is in your starter (maybe).

I hope this helps ........... If you have other questions --- please post in the correct "section" (3rd Gen or Drive Train Section).

again, Welcome ...

jim
... Chino Valley, Arizona

·
Registered
31 Posts
you mentioned the pulleys turn when you crank so it doesn't sound like the engine is locked. most likely the starter. not sure about the DR, but in the states it's often easier and about the same price to replace the whole starter vs troubleshooting and repairing it.

Hey Twin -

Hi there and, WELCOME to SNS .

I hope this helps ........... If you have other questions --- please post in the correct "section" (3rd Gen or Drive Train Section).

jim
... Chino Valley, Arizona
wouldn't this be a 4th gen ('75)?

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts