Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone I am newly registered too this site and this is my first Thread :D. I have been using this site to obtain needed information for years because of all the knowledge everyone has. Its Great! anyways I have a problem. I recently dropped in my new rebuild 355sbc and built th400 trans into my 72' then welded and made a custom cross member because it had a th350 and they are different. yesturday i dropped it off the blocks for the first time with the full weight of motor and trans and i apparently screwed up. i put 2" drop springs and drop spindles and now with the deep sump oil pan and deep trans pan it is way too close too the ground. a speed bump will rip off the oil pans!! so i guess my question is how can i raise up the motor and trans? taller motor mounts?? i really dont want too take the drop springs out because it looks totally SICK right now and taking the deep pans off is not an option. so please can anyone help? When i get home tonight maybe i can post some pictures

·
Registered
645 Posts
Taller motor mounts will not allow for clearance and it would put things out of alignment. I would think that the only way to get more clearance is to put stock spindals back on, remove the pans, or possibly try a taller tire. Your options are limited, very limited, IMHO

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
raising the engine/trans and now you're playing with the driveline angles and can encounter pinion angle problems. plus hood clearance issues amongst others i've probably not thought of... 86 the drop springs and stay with the drop spindles... don't use both. it may LOOK nice but driving it...

i haven't seen anyone combine the 2 (spindles & springs) and have it work out right...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah i know and it sucks, I was hoping someone has maybe had the same problem and had a trick way to fix it. there just isnt that much clearance. i forgot too mention i already had too shim/space the 1.25" swaybar I used to replace the tiny stock one away from the frame alittle because the 8" harmonic balancer on the motor was really close to hitting. is there such thing as a skid plate i can weld on haha.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
You might also want to check and see with the car that low if you have any tire rubbing issues. RICK

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree with you about using one or the other, either spring or spindle. I think I probably just got carried away with lowering it. I have an 82' short box fleetside that i slammed down with 3" spindals and 2" springs so I guess thats where i got the idea. I got a really great deal on the spindles and rotors on craigslist and im not going back to the tiny stock ones with front drum brakes so ill keep the spindles in but now i have another problem. the reason i replaced the springs is because the driver side one was shot and sagging an inch or more. so now i need to buy some aftermarket stock height ones i guess :( I went too a local swap meet and found another set of drop ones so now ill have 2 sets if i take these ones out haha

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
a lot of times drop springs can play havoc with alignment where the spindles won't... that's why i suggested 86'ing the springs.

sounds like you play with cars quite a bit so YOU KNOW that sometimes we spend 12 times to do something 1 time :doh:

shame we can't learn, learn, learn huh? :rolleyes: :D

once you get 25 posts the classifieds are open for you to post ads. be patient and once you get things figured out you can always sell the unused/extra parts in our classifieds... ;)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
tires look like they will be alright and wont rub the inner fender well is sitting right near the top and looks like it will clear. i will post some pictures later and you guys can tell me what you think. overall im pretty proud of the work ive done it looks trick an very clean

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
well the car has METAL around the windows so OF COURSE it's Cool... not like them Cooper-cars. :eek: :poke:

Sedans kickass! :D :stir:

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
Like stated keep the spindles and ditch the springs.

Is your name a Chevy or Chrysler firing order?:D

·
Registered
373 Posts
Just my $.02... Like the other guys are saying ditch the drop springs and keep the spindles. Moog has replacement springs and you can spec them out on their website for your application- big block,small block, 6 cylinder. Then once you have The model number order them from autozone, orilley's etc. Install the new springs then let them settle overnight maybe jump on the bumper a couple times or take it for a spin. If you want it a bit lower still you can always cut a coil...

·
4,534 Posts
Just a question but what oil pan are you running?

Miles

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
awesome ideas guys thanks! yeah its a chevy firing order of course. im still trying to figure out this site and ill post pictures when i can. have too say this site is pretty cool:D

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
awesome ideas guys thanks! yeah its a chevy firing order of course. im still trying to figure out this site and ill post pictures when i can. have too say this site is pretty cool:D
Just messing with you as some Chryslers share the same firing order.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
its just the moroso style. look like it has a welded on deep box on a stock pan. then the trans is an aluminium trick flow 4in deep i think. ill check out the moog springs :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts