Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know is a nova furom.But I gots problem with my old truck.And this is furom I go to everyday.

Anyway it's a 69 c-10.It has a 350 sbc.Vortec heads,Performer RPM,1406 carb,Hedman headers,2.5 inch hooker aerochamber mufflers.And an MSD HEI.Stock replacement mechanical 3/8 fuel pump.New lines and fuel filter.....

The truck fires right up and runs great.But if you get on it or climb a big hill the motor dies and wont refire.It also did this with a completly different engine in it.

So I bought a fuel pressure gauge and tonight I hooked it up and ran it temporarily into the cab.When you first fire the motor up it has 7 psi.Then it goes to like 14 psi.Runs just fine.(even though 14psi doesn't make sence?)

You can drive it easy and goes good.When you mash it and shift into second gear the thing falls on it's face.It wont die yet.But then if you take off again then it will die and barely restart.Also at this time the fuel pressure reads 0.I did get the truck restarted and brought it home and let it sit and idle.Along with a few revs and the fuel pressure stayed 0.

This is a brand new gauge.

How can it be running with 0 fuel pressure?Like I said that is just sitting and idling.

I am guessing my fuel pump is toast.Should I try another stocker or upgrade.Back in the day I used a stock 5/16 pump and it would still scream.Now it has 3/8 pump and lines and it does this.

Any idea's would be awesome.I have changed the whole motor.Not to mention spent who knows how much money trying to fix this problem.It's about time it gets figured out.

Please help me!

·
Registered
315 Posts
What fuel tank and filter setup are you running?
If it's stock, I'd change the sock (inlet filter) inside the tank.

Good luck!

Jeff

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right before I bought this truck.(Even though it was 7 years ago)The owner put a new tank and pickup in it.

So I just took out the pickup with the fuel level gauge.It has no sock on it.Could that be causing the problem?It has the spot that would hold the sock but no sock.

Also it still has the 1/4" ID pickup tube.Is that to small?

I used to run a modified 350 in this truck and it screamed with the stock stuff.

Maybe it needs that sock?

·
Registered
309 Posts
I think the 1/4" pickup is to small but, if it isn't the fact that there is no sock on it to stop debris from plugging up the line and without knowing which model carb you have i would say start with the filter in the inlet to that carb and work backward checking/ changing the filters, sounds to me your losing fuel

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tommorow I am going to buy a new fuel pump and install it.

If this stupid 30 dollar fuel pump was the problem this whole time I don't know what I am going to do.I always assumed it was good because it was "new"

Anyway I messed around with it some more.I started the truck and watched the fuel pressure slowly go from 1-2 than 2-3 than 3-4 etc,etc.Then after it climbed to about 9 I gave it some gas and watched it go back down to 2-3 and climb back up.

There aren't any restrictions no kinks.Checked the fuel filter it's fine.right now I am betting it's the pump.And if that doesn't fix it than I am going to give the stupid old truck away and concentrate solely on the nova from now on........

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yesterday I ordered an edelbrock performer RPM fuel pump.It's rated to 600HP.Doesn't need a regulator.My 30 dollar fuel pump turned into a 110 dollar's!

Also plan on using the fuel cell out of the nova for a while and seeing if the problem is resolved.

Hopefully it is the pump and this fixes the problem.I want to get it legal again.So I can go cruisin!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts