Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK... I can build engines but I am not a stereo guru :no: I need help laying out a stereo for my 66. I currently have a custom auto sound unit with the iPod interface, two sony 6x9 speakers in the rear, two 6.5" speakers in the kick panels and two 2.5" speakers in the original location. No amp.

My system sounds like crap :yes: ... no bass, can't really hear the kick panel speakers and just generally sounds like the cheap system it is.

I need a nice clean sounding system... I don't want the heavy thumping bass but I need to hear the bass!!

So... if you were to start from scratch what would you do? I need to keep the budget somewhat in check but I am willing to spend for good sound :D

Any ideas?
Tg

·
Premium Member
818 Posts
TG-
There are many different combos out there and I’ve found that for a good budget system that sounds rich and full – I like this set up: check out Clarion for a deck their new ones interface directly with an ipod & come w/ 50w directly from the head unit- I've used their decks for over 15 years and they have always been quality without busting the wallet. Then for quality speakers at an affordable price I like JBLs- the combo with Clarion decks and JBL speakers has always proven to be a great partnership - Check out their GT series- you can pick up the 6x9s and 6.5 fronts (or smaller) on eBay. If you shop it you can get the whole set up speakers and deck for less than $300!

Also insulating around your speakers at the least and your whole cab at the fullest will help - you can use a dynamat type sound deadener and then insulate with a jute or poly fill in your speaker compartments.

My II cents

GG

·
Premium Member
1,913 Posts
Radio

Here's what i am using i just have the front speakers its not the best but it works and its loaded with features ...i think i seen a verson also at walmart

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_070XHD7714/Dual-XHD7714.html?search=dual+car+stereo

General features
CD receiver with built-in amplifier (17 watts RMS CEA-2006/50 peak x 4 channels)
plays CDs, CD-Rs, and CD-RWs, including discs loaded with MP3 and WMA music files
HD Radio™ tuner built in, receives multicasting content (where available)
full iPod® control with iTunes™ tagging (on HD Radio stations)
built-in Bluetooth®
detachable face with 2-line display
remote control
Audio features
5 preset EQ settings

·
Premium Member
2,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I might have a chance at some nice POLK 6x9 and 6.5 speakers with a 5 channel amp and a 10" sub. It will depend on the price, I use Polk speakers in my basement and have been happy with the sound.

My entire car is dynomatted with an addition layer of insulation in a lot of areas.

Come on guys.... need more input :yes:
Tg

·
Registered
89 Posts
yay something i can actually help with.

radio:

- dont ever use dual....ever. what you have to understand is just because something has a lot of features doesnt make it good. hell sony h.u might be the worst things ever. if its cheap, its usually because its crap. sound quality and preout voltlage are two main things to look at. u want at least 4v preouts. if i were you i would go with pioneer, alpine, or kenwood, many of their good models can be found on craigslist for cheap.

wiring: dnot be afraid to go big. the bigger you go, the better. look for a 0 gauge wire kit on ebay. i found mine for 50 bucks.

speakers: alright big selection here. personal favorites for the price : phoenix gold rsd 6.5 components. best bang for teh buck (50-60). hear me out, get a 2 channel amp and amp a component system. you can use stock speakers in the rear as a fill but they are not needed. you will be much happier if you go this route.

amp: like i said previously get a 2 channel and amp a component system for the front speakers. leavel back ones on radio power. as for the mono amp for a sub, it depends on sub, but dont by the cheap brands, your never gonna be happy. ex:(lightning, pyle, pyramid, dual, pioneer, their all crap and theres so many ****ty brands out there)

sub: go with a 10 incher and getr something decent. i know a llot of brands that will give you the most bang for your buck and you prolly havent heard of em (incriminator audio,audioque...) then match it up with an amp.

trick to being happy with your system is not going half ***. if you dont have the money to get all of this at once, dont. and especially dont cheapen on what you get just so you can get it all at once. your gonna be miserable if you do. give me a budget and ill hunt down some steals for you

1 - 5 of 5 Posts