Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellas,
Tired of looking at dated posts on this topic. Need a Cam for my newly refreshed 383. My last one was fun ( Isky292 hyd flat [email protected] and .505 lift). Looking at the voodooo 276/284 (233/[email protected] and .504i/.525e lift). I enjoyed the 292 but have a feeling theres better out there. Roller is not an option, too much $$$ at this point. Heres my junk:

63 post
383 just under 10.1 Forged scat bottom H Beams and JE Flat tops
afr 195 eliminiator, 1.6 roller rockers
750dp single plane hurricane 1 3/4 headers
3000 stall
373 gear th350 posi street strip weekend worior!!!

Ill just buy the same cam unless u think not. Wish i had money for roller but not yet! Rather work on traction issues

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
I put this one in my buddies 383. I did the Lunati version with a .560"/.565" in the last Nova. Both of those have AFR 195 heads also.

I have a new of the same Howard's cam ready for my 400 sbc.

I know you said not roller, but only way I would go. Worry about the traction issues later. Save and buy the cam then save some more and buy the retrolifters. I saved $200 between my cam, lifters and Crane Gold race 1.5 rockers. I find the part number I need on Summit then find it on Ebay from an individual or stores that buy out other stores, etc.. No tax doing it this way either as Summit now charges tax for me in Texas.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hrs-110275-10

·
Premium Member
72, 2 Dr, 383, 700r4
1,319 Posts
I put this one in my buddies 383. I did the Lunati version with a .560"/.565" in the last Nova. Both of those have AFR 195 heads also.

I have a new of the same Howard's cam ready for my 400 sbc.

I know you said not roller, but only way I would go. Worry about the traction issues later. Save and buy the cam then save some more and buy the retrolifters. I saved $200 between my cam, lifters and Crane Gold race 1.5 rockers. I find the part number I need on Summit then find it on Ebay from an individual or stores that buy out other stores, etc.. No tax doing it this way either as Summit now charges tax for me in Texas.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hrs-110275-10
X2 on the roller. I put a Voodoo retro in, no regrets. Best part is no cam break-in fears.

Just saw taxes for the 1st time on my last Summit order. It was a great deal, I would order enough to get free ground shipping and I would still get it next day out of Reno, no taxes.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ya, still may go roller. Are those "complete" kits from comp cams any good for the retro roller. For $1000 It includes cam, rollers, timing, valve springs, retainers and push rods. But isnt it weird that kit includes push rods? Thought you should size those dogs and they would be different motor to motor?
Thanks
Shawn

·
Premium Member
72, 2 Dr, 383, 700r4
1,319 Posts
Yeah, I would think you got to size the push rods. You got to use an adjustable push rod for measurements. When I did the measurement it came out shorter than what everybody was saying.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
ya, still may go roller. Are those "complete" kits from comp cams any good for the retro roller. For $1000 It includes cam, rollers, timing, valve springs, retainers and push rods. But isnt it weird that kit includes push rods? Thought you should size those dogs and they would be different motor to motor?
Thanks
Shawn
Kit pushrods are based on a semi standard engine. Unless you have had the block and heads milled severely or are using different length valves with taller springs, most times stock lengths will work. The kit pushrods wind up taking the stock length for a flat tappet, and compensating for the length of the retro fit hydraulic roller lifters.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts