Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got some wheel vintiques wheels with the 3 nubs and had them powder coated.

i also bought some original dog dish caps, copo style.

for the life of me i cant get them on. i dont want to beat them too hard as i have seen so many that are all dented up, that defeats the whole purpose.

i put grase on the nubs.

i know they fit, i tried one one the table before i put it on the car, when it was nice and flat i could give it a nice square on tap with the rubber malet and it went on.

there must be some trick to getting these on?

thanks in advance

· Registered
1,757 Posts
After market wheels and powder coating, I would say the wheels are freshly stamped without any previous wear and powder coating is half again as thick as paint!! I would work the caps onto the nubs as stated above I use a couple of microfiber towels and the palm of my hand to bump over the last nub. the caps on my car are extremely difficult to come by.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

· Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i tried all of the above and no go. i will jack the car up tomoro and try it from a not so hunched over position. i know all about those caps you have there. i have a set of NOS, i am waiting to get a car worthy of the hubcaps LOL. with the problems i am having trying to get these used caps on , i might never get to use the nice ones.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread Automotive design Hubcap

· Registered
121 Posts
i got some wheel vintiques wheels with the 3 nubs and had them powder coated.

i also bought some original dog dish caps, copo style.

for the life of me i cant get them on. i dont want to beat them too hard as i have seen so many that are all dented up, that defeats the whole purpose.

i put grase on the nubs.

i know they fit, i tried one one the table before i put it on the car, when it was nice and flat i could give it a nice square on tap with the rubber malet and it went on.

there must be some trick to getting these on?

thanks in advance
[/QUOTE
Classic hubcaps are a pain to put back on in the cold

· Registered
4,199 Posts
i just mounted 4 66 ss caps on my nova. the wheels had been double coated with high gloss black powder coat. i took my old wood mallet an duck taped on 2'' of dense foam for padding. i'll say it was a nerve racking experience. it broke me right out into a sweat an it was only 50 degrees in the garage.

· Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i think i am gonna take the wheel off and hit the nubs with the sander until they fit. i cant mess it up because it doesnt work as it is, so there is nothing to break. i will report back. and yes, it will be easier to put the caps on when the wheel is not on the car LOL. the wheels are no use to me when they are on the flat surface looking all nice with th hubcaps on them.

· Registered
1967 Nova SS
2,210 Posts
I would start with lightly sanding them by hand or with a sanding block. You don't want to go all the way through the powder coating. If you do, over time there will be rust in that spot and possibly behind the powder coating that is left. I'd try one before pulling the wheels.

· Registered
4,199 Posts
i do know your feeling when they snaped on. i do say the look is perfect.
most all restores are finished with after market wheels that look good. the last few years i've really started to enjoy seeing the original look these novas how they rolled from the factory looking like.
i just finished snapping on some 66 SS caps on my 66 nova. an i'll say it was a challenge not denting them as they were what i'd call NOS caps.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts