Votes: 4 8.5%
  • American Racing

Votes: 34 72.3%
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Vision Legend 5 17 Gunmetal Wheel / Rim 5x4.75 with a 0mm Offset and a 83 Hub Bore. Partnumber 142-7761GM0

Motegi Racing Series MR107 Gloss Black Finish Machined Wheel (17x7.5"/5x4.5"​)

17 inch 17x8" 100-S Classic Series Charcoal Gray aluminum wheels rims licensed from American Racing 5x4.75" Chevy lug-pattern 0 offset 4.50" backspacing.

These wheels are what i think i have come to like for my stock 72. I wont be tubbing the rear or anything. I want to run this size in a 17 x 8 or 17 x 7.5 on all corners. I just dont know what back spacing i need. Also, im not sure of the hub size and bolt pattern. Ive read through alot of post on that matter but for some reason i just cant grab the concept. weird i know.

so my questions are, which wheels do you guys like the best and what size BS do i need for a nice level tucked look. The car will be painted a metalic blue with a black stripe up the hood and down the trunk. Thanks all and im realy looking forward to your input on this.

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
I voted american racing because the motegi wheels dont belong on a muscle car and the visions are just knock offs of the americans anyway.

·
Registered
94 Posts
i have 17x8 with 4.5" BS on all 4 corners the rear tires barely clear the quarter panel lip. i have a knock off torque thrust II, and i think the 17's look too small...

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Ryan is right. There is no substitute for the OG rims! I went through this mental battle myself when choosing wheels. I still dont have them yet, but for some reason, the knock offs never do the original justice. American Racing has the fine details down like center caps and all...They just look a whole lot better.

At the end of the day, its up to you though. You should put on the car whatever YOU like best.:yes:

Like novanutcase said to me about choosing a paint color, sit back in a lawn chair with a six pack and look at her. Just look at her and she will tell you what she wants. Maybe cut out little rims from mags and place them on pictures of your nova to visualize. Im like that, I like to see things.

AR all the way though if you ask me...or the other 100% of voters so far:D

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Can so relate . My choice are the grey Americans first. I am running 15"x8 Ralley wheels in the rear and my back space is 3.75. In the front they are 15X7 and I don't know the BS. Disc brakes all the way around with 2" drop spindles in front as well. The tire is a BFG 255/60-15 on the rear and 215-60-15 and I have no extra room in the rear . So I have not been able to consider new wheels as the tolerances are so tight .

Good luck.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the comments and suggestions guys. As of right now the majority vote is on the American Racing wheels. If i decide to run these wheels as described in the description will they fit? If not what spec do i need to look for suck as BS, off set, and bore? Heres the description again.
17 inch 17x8" 5x4.75" Chevy lug-pattern 0 offset 4.50" backspacing.
Thanks again guys.

Oh yea, i will be doing a disc brake conversion on all 4 corners.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Thanks for the comments and suggestions guys. As of right now the majority vote is on the American Racing wheels. If i decide to run these wheels as described in the description will they fit? If not what spec do i need to look for suck as BS, off set, and bore? Heres the description again.
17 inch 17x8" 5x4.75" Chevy lug-pattern 0 offset 4.50" backspacing.
Thanks again guys.

Oh yea, i will be doing a disc brake conversion on all 4 corners.
they will fit with 4.5" backspacing

·
Premium Member
11,931 Posts
I usually like a little more lip on my wheel so my vote would be to go with the AR Torque Thurst M's.

http://www.americanracing.com/wheels/?siteid=1&groupid=29

Make sure that, whatever DB kit you choose, to allow for whatever offset the kit will land you at when ordering your wheels. It would really suck for you to buy wheels and find out the backspace is wrong because the DB's pushed out the track width another 1/2" and now you're hitting the fender edge.

John

·
Registered
843 Posts
Americans! That is the same wheel I chose for my '64!

Just FYI... The pics of that wheel on the net make it look a bit darker grey than it really is. It's a light grey in color, meant to duplicate the old original "nostalgic" Americans.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
I usually like a little more lip on my wheel so my vote would be to go with the AR Torque Thurst M's.

Make sure that, whatever DB kit you choose, to allow for whatever offset the kit will land you at when ordering your wheels. It would really suck for you to buy wheels and find out the backspace is wrong because the DB's pushed out the track width another 1/2" and now you're hitting the fender edge.

John
OK so excuse the slight hijack but what does someone do when they want to get new wheels or tires but with all the variables doesn't want to buy something that does not fit. Seems like every car is going to be different so no matter what you do you have to just go someplace with all the different combinations and try each different set on the car . Not easy to do. Not many choices for 15" wheels so going up to 17" adds another consideration. Wish there was a shop that would work with you without having to buy a set of wheels that have tires mounted until you get the correct combination.:confused:

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

John
I was looking at the disc brakes from this place http://www.getdiscbrakes.com/RSeCommerce/ProductListsByCategory.aspx?CategoryID=1031
but i couldnt find any details about if id need a different back spacing. I guess ill have to call them and see what they say.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK so excuse the slight hijack but what does someone do when they want to get new wheels or tires but with all the variables doesn't want to buy something that does not fit. Seems like every car is going to be different so no matter what you do you have to just go someplace with all the different combinations and try each different set on the car . Not easy to do. Not many choices for 15" wheels so going up to 17" adds another consideration. Wish there was a shop that would work with you without having to buy a set of wheels that have tires mounted until you get the correct combination.:confused:
I didnt find any wheel stores around my area that would do that, so i have to rely on the good people here to walk me in the right direction.

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
Can so relate . My choice are the grey Americans first. I am running 15"x8 Ralley wheels in the rear and my back space is 3.75. In the front they are 15X7 and I don't know the BS. Disc brakes all the way around with 2" drop spindles in front as well. The tire is a BFG 255/60-15 on the rear and 215-60-15 and I have no extra room in the rear . So I have not been able to consider new wheels as the tolerances are so tight .

Good luck.
I can't believe you got 3.75" BS to work with the 255/60/15. That's the tire I have on my 8" rims with 4.5" and they rub the inner wheelwell....:eek: Any mods on yours?

·
Registered
843 Posts
Thanks so much for the suggestions. I didnt realize how much lighter in color they are. Im glad that it was pointed out. I guess ill change them to the black. I dont realy think the grey will match the paint scheme. Black should look good.
Just to clarify. The wheels in my pictures above are the American CL205's.

·
Registered
456 Posts
So this may not mesh with all of the do it your selfers but why not contact your local American Tire Co. They do all of the measuring for wheel and tire space and if they don't fit for some reason then they have to replace them rather than you eating it if they don't fit for some reason. Also, they will usually match any price out out there. I am getting Boze wheels for my car and they are matching the lowest price and the manager is coming out to my house to measure the wheel space. Not a bad way to go, i'm just saying.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
So this may not mesh with all of the do it your selfers but why not contact your local American Tire Co. They do all of the measuring for wheel and tire space and if they don't fit for some reason then they have to replace them rather than you eating it if they don't fit for some reason. Also, they will usually match any price out out there. I am getting Boze wheels for my car and they are matching the lowest price and the manager is coming out to my house to measure the wheel space. Not a bad way to go, i'm just saying.
Thanks for the tip. I recently had a very positive experience at my local Americas Tire Store. Price was very competitive and the installer used due caution working on my car. I was very impressed over all and will go back for other tire purchases. Didn't think to ask if they would do that for the Nova.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts