Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello, i need everyones imput on a big block idea. im open to any thoughts towards compression, heads, cam and headers. what i do know is i do have a 454 block from around 1976 truck, i was thinking a 489/496 stroker. i have a 750 carb and would like to stick with a edelbrock rpm air gap manifold. this car is 99% street drivin and taken to the track at most once a year if that. i wanna make power from idle to 5500-6000. i do have power brakes so vacuum at idle is very important. it is a m 21 4 speed with 3.42 10 bolt rear. for heads i want aluminum. i was also considering beehive valve springs and titanium retainers to get the weight down or just titanium retainers. help is needed.

what i was thinkin so far was about 10.2:1 compression with a milidon oil pan, either a custom cam or edelbrock rpm roller cam and lifters. i also like the edelrbrock victor jr heads with the rectangular 300 cc intake runners. with an air gap manifold and 750 carb. with 2 inch headers. let me know what you think! thanks!

al.

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
A flat top 496
With Edelbrock 60499 heads (compression will be around 9.5)
A roller form Lunati (per their recommendation)

And hold on to ya hat!

Better have a tire budget, it will burn them up!

This would be a sleeper right!

Al

·
Premium Member
13,309 Posts
compression of 9.5 to 10.5, If roller go HYD based on your criteria. a 274 would be the largest with vacuum assist brakes, the intake and carb are fine, stock oval port head configuratiopn will be fine... consider any of the Edelbrock ovals..... DO NOT GO TO THE VICTOR VJ head. way to big for your package..... the Beehive and TI retainers are a good thought, as the BBC valve weights are a bit on the fat or heavy side.....

you going to make 550 hp easy with a package like this.. and some where around 600ft tq...... and be all done by 5800 to 6200

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the only reason i wanna stay away from those heads are because of this:
Notes The spark plug location has been moved .150 inch closer toward the bore center. Custom pistons are recommended make sure to check clearance before final assembly.

if i went with bigger heads and got a cam to make that work would i loose anything down low?

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
the only reason i wanna stay away from those heads are because of this:
Notes The spark plug location has been moved .150 inch closer toward the bore center. Custom pistons are recommended make sure to check clearance before final assembly.

if i went with bigger heads and got a cam to make that work would i loose anything down low?
This is no issue!:rolleyes:
If you run flat tops and your compression will be very street-able.

You can put the biggest head you can find.

Your limiting the air volume by your rpm limits.
So the cam will have to be within the RPM range. A high flow camshaft required for bigger heads puts you outside your preference.

The best engine combination is when everything matches.
A well matched combination assembled with quality parts from knowledgeable proven vendors, machine work done by the most qualified & assembled correctly will yield an average of 20% more power & durabilty.

Al

·
Premium Member
13,309 Posts
Ok they are talking about the .500+ dome pistons( 12.5:1 and up).. the .200, .240, .300 domes do not have a problem.... or the 0 to 26cc domes there is no interfearence.

On the large domes.. 39cc+ or .500"+ the piston has to have a spark plug flame and clearence trough cut in the dome for flame propagation.... this is done by the piston maker.. but are located for factory locations of the spark plug...

Edelbrock by moving the plug necessitated the adviso so as to not have a interfearence problem with large dome pistons that would apear to have the clearance notch already cut....

Except for the flat top piston.. I would not hurt to do a mock up.. but I doubt and problems....

If you have concerns..... Contact Edelbrock Directly I am sure they will remove any fear.... but document the call and the person

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
ok what about the edelbrock 60459 heads?
I see that they are the same!

Except for the bling!

The number I posted was polished heads. :eek::rolleyes:

I just know someone who built a 468 with those head specs and it's a torque monster! I MEAN REAL MONSTER!!!

His engine has had me on the BBC fence for a long time.

Al

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
wow big al tell me about this engine!
Nothing special.
.060 over 454
Cast HD truck crank, stk rods balanced
SRP pistons 139478
Lunati roller 575 lift
The eddie heads
Has a Edelbrock air gap dual plane intake
Holley 750hp
GM HEI
Hv pump, Cloyes roller, hamburger pan.
has a high dollar set of long tube Dougs Headers headers. (they are nice)
Has it in a 1970 heavy Chevy! I can't say Chevelle or Malibu, he reads this it will be a fight! It's a Heavy Chevy! Period!

If the car ever had slicks I think it would rip the rear end and transmission out of it. He can run high 7's in the eight mile and looks like a funny car burn out! Smokin the tires!~

he runs 89 octane pump gas to boot~!

It's crazy! 3.31 gear Th400 and drives it anywhere!

Al

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ya thats sounds like a reliable set up. i wanna do the stroker than im going to put beehive valve springs with titaniam retainers and locks. and with the cam i was thinking about doing the 4-7 swap. just get a custom cam made. do a higher lift and shorter duration work well together?

·
Premium Member
13,309 Posts
you build a 496 with a mild build your going to get 600ftlbs tq... that will make ya hunt a ditch very quick.... and I aint talkin about you.. its the car.. your going to be from ditch to ditch if you tag it and are not prepared to feather and do some driven..... ASK me how I know... I dare ya....

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
ya thats sounds like a reliable set up. i wanna do the stroker than im going to put beehive valve springs with titaniam retainers and locks. and with the cam i was thinking about doing the 4-7 swap. just get a custom cam made. do a higher lift and shorter duration work well together?
YES!

My newest cam in my SB is the 4/7 swap I also went with a short duration high lift.

Talk to Lunati about it.

Do the 4/7 swap.
Sounds cool!

Al

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
yeah, thats where I was going was a crate engine. save yourself a lot of hassle and just buy it complete. because by the time youve put it together with all decent stuff youve already spent 7k+

OR, buy a good longblock and put your own heads on it. should save a bit of money and still move.

I like this one from the site Big Al posted
http://www.crateenginedepot.com/sto...Iron-Head-and-Roller-Cam-12568778-P11C54.aspx

8.75:1 compression, forged everything. when you need more, its ready for the boost! (turbo)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts