Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I have a 1971 nova an replaced the whole front end suspension components (upper lower ball joints all bushings etc) and my lower ball joint castle nut keeps ripping out shearing the nut an ball joint stud clean off. It kept happening on the drivers side so I replaced the whole joint 3 times and finally used thread lock red to add support. I pulled out of my driveway and now my right ball joint but tore out leaving my nova with the control arm on the pavement. Any suggestions? Im out of ideas.

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
Ok so I have a 1971 nova an replaced the whole front end suspension components (upper lower ball joints all bushings etc) and my lower ball joint castle nut keeps ripping out shearing the nut an ball joint stud clean off. It kept happening on the drivers side so I replaced the whole joint 3 times and finally used thread lock red to add support. I pulled out of my driveway and now my right ball joint but tore out leaving my nova with the control arm on the pavement. Any suggestions? Im out of ideas.
buy moog:yes::yes:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lol yeah that's the next step, I want to make sure it's not any other components before I spend $100 on moog

·
Registered
810 Posts
Even with a cheap chineese ball shouldent do that.Check and make sure the taper in the spindle isnt enlarged or egged out. Reason being is if the ball joint dont seat correctly every time you turn the ball joint stud will spin.With enough turning it backs the nut off and then everything comes loose. Doubble check that spindle!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Even with a cheap chineese ball shouldent do that.Check and make sure the taper in the spindle isnt enlarged or egged out. Reason being is if the ball joint dont seat correctly every time you turn the ball joint stud will spin.With enough turning it backs the nut off and then everything comes loose. Doubble check that spindle!!!
With that being checked, the nut doesn't back off, it shreds the nut and threads clean smooth like butter.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Ok does the stud on the ball joint stud look like its been spining around in the spindle? Its tapered and the spindle should be too.When the nut is tightened down there is a slight interferance so that the stud will stay in place in the spindle. If the spindle is worn ect the joint will pound the nut right off because its moving up and down and or spinning when it shouldent be.Under no case should the stud spin inside the spindle. If the ball joint was deformed when installed that can cause the stud to bind up inside the body of the ball joint,and then cause the nut and or stud to shear. I have seen cases where the ball joint would even pull out of the controll arm due to a bound up joint. From the sounds of it either the joint is bound up causing stud rotation or its loose inside the spindle and slapping around. Any way you can take pics of the failed ball joint and controll arm? That would help alot!

·
Super Moderator
12,020 Posts
When you replace the ball joint and torque the nut down, if the nut were to be removed the stud should still be tight in the spindle.
If the ball joint stud is seated into the spindle even with the nut removed it will not fall out, if it comes out easily the spindle taper is worn out and a new spindle is needed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts