Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please forgive my ignorance, I am still new to the scene. I have checked the codes from the front/passenger side of the block but it still only narrows it down to two different engines.

The car is a 66 2 door hardtop automatic and I am not sure if the engine or the tranny are original.

F0327HO

From what I have found it seems to be a:

327 from 1965

or

350 from 1969

Are there any other indicators?

·
Registered
168 Posts
There's a number behind the driver side head. In my experience it's easier to identify an engine by this number. You will be able to identify it on http://www.mortec.com/ once you have that. They also have the head casting numbers which are located under the valve cover in between the rocker.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Please forgive my ignorance, I am still new to the scene. I have checked the codes from the front/passenger side of the block but it still only narrows it down to two different engines.

The car is a 66 2 door hardtop automatic and I am not sure if the engine or the tranny are original.

F0327HO

From what I have found it seems to be a:

327 from 1965

or

350 from 1969

Are there any other indicators?
Yes, get the casting number and or casting date off the back of the block. Also, is theer a block VIN stamped near the application code? If not, I'd guess it's the 65 327. Most blocks after 1968 have the VIN stamped.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does anyone has a photo of where the other number is located? It took me forever to find the first one because I had no idea it would be painted over. I has to go hunting with a bottle of acetone. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The main reason I am asking is because I want to buy and install a new carb this weekend but I'm not sure what size to get. I read that if its a 327, I should go with a 500cfm and if it is a 350, I should get a 600cfm...does that sound right?

Do you you guys like the Edelbrock Performer?

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
If it's the 69 350 it should have some more numbers next to the ones you found--if it's the 65 327, it looks like a Vette engine that had a Powerglide behind it. Either way it doesn't like like the original piece.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
UPDATE: The suffix "HO"; after a little more cleaning turned out to be "HC" which leads me to believe it is indeed a 1965 327 becase it is a 4barrel and the 1969 350 shows as a 2 barrel.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts