Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused: OK I've been looking for the right radiator for my Nova but honestly I do not know which one is right for me. So far I'm thinking of buying the BE COOL radiator on summit part#BCI-65002, any suggestions. Well here's alittle more on my ride if anyone has anything similiar please tell me what you went with...mild 350, manual,no a/c if u need anymore info I'll add later. I currently have a oem style radiator that seems like it is twice as old as it is. I am planning on going aluminum.(car is overheating and current radiator is toasted)...street/daily driver/cruising
also I am considering the summit radiator SUM-380458 BOTH these rads are about the same price...HELP

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I went with the Summit radiator in my 74 Pro Street. Part number SUM-380331. I run a 496 stroker Big Block with no cooling issues at all right now. A friend put the next size smaller SUM-380328 in his 73 Nova with a 396 Big Block and he also has no cooling issues.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HHmmmm

NovaSS396L34 said:
I went with the Summit radiator in my 74 Pro Street. Part number SUM-380331. I run a 496 stroker Big Block with no cooling issues at all right now. A friend put the next size smaller SUM-380328 in his 73 Nova with a 396 Big Block and he also has no cooling issues.
Did your buddy have to do any modifying or cutting for that rad? I'm basically trying to figure which one will go right in with liitle or no work.:D

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
All you have to do with the radiator is cut off part of the top fins that run across the top and bottom of the radiator. Then it should fit and the fan shroud cover will hold the radiator in. We used a jig saw to saw off the fins for my car. My friend did it differently and made some brackets but when he saw what I did he wished he had done it that way. I think he also has a smaller battery now since the radiator is pretty big. My battery is in the trunk now so that isn't an issue for me.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
NovaSS396L34 said:
A friend put the next size smaller SUM-380328 in his 73 Nova with a 396 Big Block and he also has no cooling issues.
Do you know how many fins per inch this rad is?:confused: Does he run a mechanical or electric fan?

:chev: :beer:

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I don't know how many fins per inch it is. Maybe call Summit and ask them about that. I believe this is the radiator he put in;

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=SUM-380328&N=115&autoview=sku

If you look closely at the larger picture you can see on the top of the radiator the two fins on the top of the radiator that you need to cut down to almost the top edge of the radiator. They run across the top and bottom of the radiator and go from end to end.

This radiator is a lot cheaper than others and you just have to do a little work to get it to fit. Oh yes, he runs a stock mechanical water pump with an electric fan. I run an electric water pump with dual electric fans.

If you want me to I can take of photo of mine installed.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sure A pic would be great.:D And I just ordered the summit radiator...

·
Registered
1,236 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
One more quick question, do I need to buy a fitting or something for the overflow line from the neck?:eek:

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
73 Nova said:
One more quick question, do I need to buy a fitting or something for the overflow line from the neck?:eek:
Yes you will need to buy one.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I bought a griffin nascar aluminum radiator from summit it is 27 1/2 x 19 and it is as big as I think you can get. It a good radiator. I don't think they make them anymore but you can get the sportsman version with the same demensions. They go for about $200 and some change.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I may get crucified for suggesting this, but if you want an aluminum radiator for a mild 350 smallblock, there is a more affordable bolt-in option. I needed a new radiator for a 305 TPI a few years back and a local radiator shop owner recommended the factory aluminum radiator from a '86 Chevy G-Van with 4.3L V6. (It has the same physical dimensions as the factory radiator and lines up perfectly with the factory mounts.) The core is a single row of one inch wide tubes. I was skeptical but he guaranteed it to work, even with my Vintage Air AC. It did and turned out to be the only choice for running an electric cooling fan reliably. (You can move more air through this thing than a 3 core brass radiator.)

When I upgraded to a 350, I was sure it would not handle the extra cubic inches. It proved me wrong. We see 100 degree Summers here and my car has no cooling problems. You should note that the TPI engines have a smaller upper radiator hose so for a carbureted application, you may need a spacer(short piece of smaller hose on the upper radiator hose neck).

'86 G-van radiator dimensions...

OE NOVA radiator dimensions...

My local Advance Auto Parts has these list for $190.99 .
http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?mfrcode=VST&mfrpartnumber=954&parttype=31&ptset=A

1 - 13 of 13 Posts