Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi:
Im a little frenzied on this... My 77 developed a headlamp failure a couple of days ago.

When lo beam is turned up, the LH headlamp is very dim, the green dash failure indicator on that side turns on, and the park lamp on same side is also dim.

If I turn on th hi beam, the lamp dims even more, and the turn lamp dims more too, is barely visible.

If only parking lights are on, the park lamp is perfect and failure light turns off.

The RH side lamps work perfect in all positions. Tail and dash all work perfect.

When I restored the car a year ago I used "standard performance" halogen sealed beams. Worked perfectly until now. Did I damage or destroy something with the Halo lamps??? My wiring appears perfect and untouched. Grounds are new and perfect.

Today I changed the lamp in question twice with new units and all is exactly failing the same. HELP!!!!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Mine did that, all it is is the ground wire in the headlight wire loom, retighten it and all will be good, clean it if its rusty before tightening
there is a ground wire next to each headlight wire / plug

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tried that... ground is tight and clean... thanks anyway...

Also, I seem to have misplaced my wiring diagram... its so frustrating, if as I believe the wiring all comes together from the same point, why would only one side do this...???

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got it!! Actually you were right... the body ground was OK but you got me thinking. Turns out the lamp connector was dirty and loose. I had to file the connector ground metal clip... If it loosens up again I may have to eventually replace the whole connector. But for now it works and indeed it was the ground.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts