Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After removing a fender I had a few questions.

What is the sealer material (the vertical strap w clips in it) thats is between the fender and body? Didnt know whats best to replace it with.

Whats the best way to patch this hole for a newbie with no welding tools or experience? Should I take to someone to fix?

heres a view from inside the glove box

and heres a door/hinge view

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
the right way to fix it is to cut it out and weld it:yes: buuuuutt.... if you want to get a little red neck you can clean it, paint it with POR15 then slap some fiberglass bondo over it, sand it, prime it, paint it and call it a day:D
I've done it before and repairs 10 years old still look good:rolleyes:

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the right way to fix it is to cut it out and weld it:yes: buuuuutt.... if you want to get a little red neck you can clean it, paint it with POR15 then slap some fiberglass bondo over it, sand it, prime it, paint it and call it a day:D
I've done it before and repairs 10 years old still look good:rolleyes:
as luck would have it I do have left over POR15 from painting the engine

·
Registered
28 Posts
Eastwood company has the seam sealer you are looking for. They have a product called "Seam Sealer Brushable Quart Item #31028". It's like the factory sealer.

For the rust hole another alternative you can do is "No Weld Panel Repair Kit
Item #31102".

Hope this helps

bbjj

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Eastwood company has the seam sealer you are looking for. They have a product called "Seam Sealer Brushable Quart Item #31028". It's like the factory sealer.

For the rust hole another alternative you can do is "No Weld Panel Repair Kit
Item #31102".

Hope this helps

bbjj
Thanks for the info.

So does that mean that I wouldnt need the strips that are held on by the clips? Looks like a gasket or something. Might be hard to tell in the photo but running vertically are clips holding a seal of some kind of material.

·
Premium Member
4,125 Posts
You should really replace that seal. It's a mud/dust shield and is meant to keep crap from getting back inside the fender where you can't get to it to clean it.

·
Registered
491 Posts
seals

I put new seals on and used stainless steel screws instead of staples. Worked pretty good.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bondo help

I know this is ******* but I'd like to at least get the bondo part right:D

I had left over por 15 prep materials and paint so I prepped this area and put a coating of the engine enamel.

Then I read the Bondo can where it says to get it all down to bare metal first :(

Will Bondo adhere properly to this red Por 15 paint?

If it does, I bought the kit with the wire mesh swatch that I was going to crack, peel and stick it and mix up the Bondo and slather it in.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts