Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just rebuilt the engine in my 69 SS 396 375 hp Nova. We started it up on the stand to break the cam in it ran beautiful. I put it in the car nothing. I have 12.3 volts coming out to the coil, when I crank it it has 9.2 volts. The problem is there is not anything going to the plugs. We hooked up an MSD box and bypassed the system on the car and it fires right up. I have put the point dist and electronic dist and nothing. Could this be in the ignition switch inside the car. I am at my wits end help

·
Premium Member
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like the switch....try to hot wire it...jump the coil to the battery hot side, start the car, then take the jumper off the battery, if it dies, it's the switch.

You should have a full 12 volts present, not 9 volts...

T,
Thank you, I have tried that. I have 12 volts from the switch to the coil with the switch on, it goes to 9 volts when trying to start the car. No matter what I do it will not get fire to the plugs. I am about ready to push it to curb for sale.
Thanks again

·
Registered
46 Posts
9v cranking is normal. You may have a bad ground take your meter from the enging to the frame while cranking you should not have more than .5-.8 v. If that checks good take a test light from ground to coil neg. and see if you have flash while cranking. Could have burnt up the points? If no flash you have a problem in your distributor. Can you give more details as to the dist. ignition system being used.

·
Premium Member
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
9v cranking is normal. You may have a bad ground take your meter from the enging to the frame while cranking you should not have more than .5-.8 v. If that checks good take a test light from ground to coil neg. and see if you have flash while cranking. Could have burnt up the points? If no flash you have a problem in your distributor. Can you give more details as to the dist. ignition system being used.
Thank you, I found out what the problem was. The coil was bad, it tested good but when it was put under a load it would break down. I want to thank everyone for all the help

1 - 5 of 5 Posts