Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow Nova owners,
I have a 350 engine in my car just been overhauled, added flat top pistons and a small cam. When running the engine if I pull any spark plug wire off the engine runs badly except when I pull #3 it runs better! When #3 is connected the cylinder fires late and the engine has a very rough idle and no power. I changed the plug wire, plug, distrubutor cap, and rotor button with no change. The cylinder has similar compression as all the others. It has carburator not fuel injection. I have checked the firing order and have no plugs swapped. I am ready to throw a hammer at it.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
With the engine running spray some brake clean or WD40 around the carb base and intake manifold slowly in each location to see if you have any vacum leaks. RICK

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I have checked the wiring multiple times and even had a neighbor look to make sure I was not identifying the wrong wires. I have also ran the engine and sprayed carb cleaner around the carb and intake with no change in the way it is running, if it has a vacum leak it would have to be internal.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
plug was coverd in soot,no oil on it. changed it with new one no difference in miss. thanks.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Install a spark in the # 3 wire and leave the fould plug in the head. Install a good plug in the wire and ground it. Start the car to see if that plug is firing. RICK

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
What kind of dizzy? Maybe crap near the reluctor on the #3?
Did you get what I was trying to tell him to do? I don't think he has a sun scope. Ground the plug body like on a 2 stroke motorcycle kick it over to see if the plug is firing.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Check a couple of the other plugs and see if they are also starting to foul. If they are clean then recheck the compression. RICK

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks everyone, I reset the valve lash and it runs very smoothly. Again Thanks for the help.:D

·
Registered
214 Posts
did you readjust just the number 3 cylinder or did you do all of them? And did you go with the quarter turn from zero lash??

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I did all of them 1/2 turn however I need to go back in and do another 1/4 turn to be perfect. Pulls 19-20 in vac. now.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts