Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For you engine experts...here is my issue:

Just finished installed a new Blueprint 383 with TH350 and B&M Holeshot 2400 stall TC.

I've got it ideling around 700RPM right now. Took it out for a spin today after engine was fully warmed up. Occasionally when applying throttle from a stop sign I'll hear a click from the passenger side (sounds like the pass side anyway) and the engine will cut off.
I'm able to fire it up right away and the problem goes away till the next stop sign.

I also notice it on some gear shifts...trans will shift, I'll hear the click, the engine will drop off...but it comes right back since the car is moving.

I thought it might be electrical? When the engine cuts out it's pretty quick as opposed to bogging down and shutting off...

Thanks for any thoughts!

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
need input

Fill in the blanks

timing settings , initial ______ total _______

my ignition system is _________

my carburator is _________

my exhaust is _________

I run _______ octane gas

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
It sure sounds like an electrical issue, are you running the 12v distributor wire from the starter? It could be shorting.

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
I'll bet there is a main power wire insulation rubbed through somewhere and what you are hearing is a spark where it is grounding out a against the frame or some metal bracket. Probably as the engine flexes in the motor mounts. Try it with the emergency brake on and rev the engine up in gear and I'll bet it does it even though you are not moving. Look around for some place that is grounding out the power. If all else fails , try it in the dark and see if you can see a spark.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
levisntshirt,

timing settings - initial: 15 total: 34

ignition system - MSD distributer, no vacuum advance, MSD 6A box

carburator - Edelbrock Performer 750cfm

exhaust - Summit cheap headers into two Thrush glasspacks that dump out the side in front of the rear wheels.

91 Octane fuel...(usually a mix of 89 and 93 Octane)

Thanks for the info guys! ...yeah I'll take a look around and see about signs of arching. I don't have that wire hooked up from the starter to the distributer...but I think it's still there in the harness, I'll make sure it isn't shorting anywhere

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So today I completely removed that 12v wire (from the starter to the dist) from the harness, and put in all new wires down to the starter.

Problem is still there...the click almost sounds like the click of the solenoid on the starter...and it sounds like it's coming from that general location.

I replaced the starter and solenoid with another one I had around...same problem.

Since I did all this work it does seem to be acting up less. It won't cut off from stop signs anymore...but it does around gear shifts occasionally.
Could this be related to the trans at all??

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
if your hearing a click somewhere maybe you need to have someone drive the car while you stick your head where you think the noise is coming from. Are you using a Ford starter solenoid? I've seen some with like a reset button? or something on top that can act up and cause problems. My friend had one on his chevelle and did that.

·
Premium Member
13,309 Posts
I would have to agree.. electrics......car shut down... how is your MSD ignition wired? is the entire car shutting down or is it just the engine?... we need to isolate which electrical system we are having a problem with.. grounds, constant hot, switched, ignition, etc....

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
shuts off..

These kinds of problems are the most annoying...I have the reverse of this....when I come to a stop and hit the brakes the car dies. If I feather the brake pressure lightly it doesn't...:confused::confused:

I've had the carb looked at, checked vacuum hose connection...nothing. And i think it gets worse as the car warms up....maybe there is a wire hitting somewhere...or the main resistance wire to the coil is failing or broken some place....it's on the list for Sunday morning projects....hope your problem gets solved.

wilma

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm going to go look at it somemore this afternoon.

But I know it's just the engine...because a couple times I watched my gauges and lights and they were constant.

I'll double check the MSD ignition wiring...maybe something is shorting with that?

·
Premium Member
13,309 Posts
I would have to agree.. electrics......car shut down... how is your MSD ignition wired? is the entire car shutting down or is it just the engine?... we need to isolate which electrical system we are having a problem with.. grounds, constant hot, switched, ignition, etc....

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, so after chasing this problem around all day I'm pretty sure if it is electrical it's only related to the ignition system. I see no effect on voltage or load to the lights, gauges, etc. when it happens.

I am also unable to replicate it when the car is sitting still. I've tried reving it and knocking wires around under the hood...can't make it happen.

Do you guys think anything in the trans would exhibit symptoms like this? Should I try putting the rear on jackstands and attempt to get it to do it? Or maybe underload with the brakes down?

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Help!! Engine shuts Off...

Hey Now, Most likely cause is engine to body ground wire/strap, battery to engine ground wire. Ignition, check ground strap/wire inside distributor, be sure that module is using siliconized grease lube on base to distributor. HEI be sure ground strap in top of Dist cap is connected and the screws that hold the coil in place are not arcing across. Be sure that the Rotor is not arcing through to the Dist Shaft. Ok If I think of any other place I'll get back to all ya'll. Respectfully, "Bill's" II

·
Premium Member
13,309 Posts
one thing that comes to mind.. you here a click/snap something when the brake pedal is depressed.... is there a wire shorting or a wire in a bind when the pedal is depressed?

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Now whats a trip is if yer driving and shift and it happens then you can just fire it right back up with a clutch drop and bump start it. Like its a connection that is just barley hanging on and with some movement it opens. Then when the movement is gone its connected again. But the clicking sound you always hear is baffling, and its a loud click, like a relay or solenoid. A ground wouldnt do that, a poor block to frame ground shows up more when starting, huge current rush through all the lil wires that shouldnt be taking it. But while the engine is running its running off the alt, which is not concerned with the block to frame ground.

The tranny, what kind, Im assuming its a manual since you can bump start it?? I dont think the tranny, auto or manual can shut down the ignition.

Basically it 12vcd from the ignition switch to what, the MSD box and the dizzy. So you get a amplified signal off the MSD box that feeds the coil right?? I dont know the MSD systems. Does the MSD box have an internal circuit breaker??????? JR

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So I figured out my issue...it's pretty embarrassing..

Went to verify my timing today and found it hitting 8 degrees after :eek::eek:

So that was apparently my issue as I'm not having the problem anymore. Of course, now I have plenty of good ground straps running everywhere :rolleyes:

Thanks for the help everyone!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts