Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got this disassembled engine off craigslist and trying to decode it come up with conflicting info. thre's different info on various sites and don't know which is correct.

casting # - 3970010
date - E69
vin - 19J271577
id - V0604FB

casting # comes up as a 302, 327, or 350 depending on the website i choose
date code - how do i know if it's a 69 or 79? i'm guessing based on the other #s it's likely a '69
id - FB comes up as a '69 327, but the casting # only references a 327 in '68

any ideas on what the heck i have here?

·
13,958 Posts
Chevy By The Numbers indicates the 3970010 block came into production in April or May, 1969, and was used through 1975. The E69 date is May 6, 1969. It was used for 350 applications in full size Chevrolet, Chevelle, Nova, Camaro (350 & 302) and Corvettes. It was also used in trucks. Hope this helps.

Bob

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Heres what I turned up on nastyZ28

The last iteration of the 327 appeared in 1969 with a two-barrel carburetor and a 9-to-1 compression ratio that produced 235 horsepower and 325 foot pounds of torque, but by then another Chevrolet small-block had already appeared on the market and had begun stealing what thunder the 327 had left.

FB 1969 327 Powerglide 235 2bbl full size

jun 4th 1969 Flint

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hmmmm....

thanks guys, but that's two replies, two different answers. is there a definitive trusted source to get this info?

is it accurate to say the block is pretty much the same, the real difference is in the crank and pistons?

i have no faith the parts i got are all from the same engine so i can't trust this is the original crank. the heads are 333882 heads (70 - 82 350 right?). so if i have the right rotational assembly for a 350 should i be able to put this together as a 350?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
or another thought, if this is a 327 block, would i be better off selling it and buying a true 350 block?

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
the block will be the same for a 302, 327 and 350, as they all have the 4 inch bore, the only difference between them is the stroke of the crankshaft in 69.
The crank flange is also shaped different between them.
Read through this site and look up the casting number on the crank you have and it will tell you which one it is. this is a good site for info.

http://chevytech.com/index.html

·
13,958 Posts
Heres what I turned up on nastyZ28

The last iteration of the 327 appeared in 1969 with a two-barrel carburetor and a 9-to-1 compression ratio that produced 235 horsepower and 325 foot pounds of torque, but by then another Chevrolet small-block had already appeared on the market and had begun stealing what thunder the 327 had left.

FB 1969 327 Powerglide 235 2bbl full size

jun 4th 1969 Flint
Obviously, lots of conflicting information from various sources. Chevy By The Numbers shows the 235HP/327 in 1969 full size passenger cars as block # 3956618. The Camaro also had a 210HP/327 in '69 - block # 3932386. The FB suffix code is for a 1969 full sized passenger car with a 327, but CBTN does not list a 327 for block #3970010. The VIN the OP has listed is a bit of a mystery, too. Could his engine be a truck application?

Bob

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for all the help guys. i'll check the crank numbers tomorrow to see what i have. trying to order a rebuild kit and want to make sure i get the right parts.

i didn't dig deep but i couldn't figure out the vin code either. doesn't really matter, but if anyone knows the answer i'd be curious just for future knowledge. this is for my son's nova and next on the stand is another 350 (i think) for my next son's camaro. wonder what i'll find with those numbers.:confused:

·
Registered
1969 Nova . . 2dr . . Chino Valley,Az USA
4,837 Posts
Obviously,

The VIN the OP has listed is a bit of a mystery, too. Could his engine be a truck application?

Bob

Bob .... this would be my understanding for the posted Vin # :

on my 69 Nova (factory original 250 - 6 motor) .

on my dist. pad ... motor Number is : F0709BC

and, just under that is my partial car Vin # : 551162

Which my "Dash VIN # : 113279W551162

would that number lay - out be the same ---- I'm not sure (meaning , I'm not sure how truck numbers were or full-size chevys).

ps : F0709BC === F=Flint
.................... ------07 = July
.................... ------09 = 1969
.................... ------ BC = 250ci - 155hp (RPO-L22)

my cowl tag number : 114279W*******

my build date : 07C = .......... 07 = (month) July ......... C = 3rd week . SO my motor is July 1969 & my car assembly is July 1969 ... Vin # matches both car & motor & transmission (powerglide .. which has been removed).

I'm NOW Driving A 50 year Nova as of this Month
..... with the Factory Motor & Stock Original
Body - Parts & Glass w/original 'Dover White Paint'

It's a Keeper .... jim

·
Registered
4,837 Posts
prezie

just asking :

were the Vin # 19J271577 & the ID # V0604FB on the front block "pad" together

...... jim

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the block will be the same for a 302, 327 and 350, as they all have the 4 inch bore, the only difference between them is the stroke of the crankshaft in 69.
The crank flange is also shaped different between them.
Read through this site and look up the casting number on the crank you have and it will tell you which one it is. this is a good site for info.

http://chevytech.com/index.html

let's add another option into the mix - the stamps on the crank:

f29

according to chevytech this could be a 327 OR a 307 crank (same stroke 3.25)

so i am just going to assume this is a 327. is there a difference in the heads on a 327/350? or is it all the bottom end? would it be safe to assume i could put this back together with a 327 rebuild kit?

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
let's add another option into the mix - the stamps on the crank:

f29

according to chevytech this could be a 327 OR a 307 crank (same stroke 3.25)

so i am just going to assume this is a 327. is there a difference in the heads on a 327/350? or is it all the bottom end? would it be safe to assume i could put this back together with a 327 rebuild kit?

There are different heads for different power ranges, but for the most part the heads will be the same for the 350 and 327. Did you get a set of heads with the motor you bought?
Before I would order any parts to build the motor, I would take the block, rods, and crank to a machine shop and have them checked out, for any cracks, bore size, and make sure the crank is straight and how far it has been turned in the past if any. If the block checks out ok have them clean it, maybe bore it or at least hone it for new rings, and install new cam bearings, and if the crank checks out ok , have it turned, or at least polished, if the rods are ok, have new rod bolts put in. Also have everything balanced
This way you know what size rings and bearings to order.

I am only saying all of this because I don't know your experience with building motors, or what tools you have to do the work.

·
Registered
4,837 Posts
on the same pad, but not together. they are different die sets:

just like I thought ... and, same as my (six) motor.

Motor # was stamped at engine plant --- vin # stamped at vehicle assembly plant ( for the two different size stamps .. and the vin # is maybe smaller numbers). ?

... ( I have a complete 327 in my shop (built for my Model A) :
shows to be for a 67 chevy car - small journal crank , 210HP , 2bbl , with p/g).
Like Wade says -- have it checked - I did. Bored 40 over, new (exchange) 10 - 10 crank , 202 type heads (ported & polished & flow-benched) , and entire rotating assembly balanced. on my engine stand ready to go (but, Model A , is not done).
I can look @ those block numbers ... if you think it might help you .

.... jim

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am only saying all of this because I don't know your experience with building motors, or what tools you have to do the work.
thanks wade - i used to be a gearhead in high school, and was ase certified mech for a few years, but that was 30 years ago and i was a MOPAR fan. (still am, but can't afford them :D ) I am now getting back into this with my kids and want to stick with SBC platforms for cost and availability. they are teenagers with limited funds and i am making them put their money into it.

we did get heads - cast #333882, so i believe they are 350 heads. i did find a local guy who will check everything out -crank, block, and heads for $100. as long as everything checks out i want the kids to do as much of the work as possible. i've got (or have access to) most of the tools we would need except a cnc machine.

this forum has been great and i really appreciate everyone's help and making me look like smart to my kids :yes:

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
thanks wade - i used to be a gearhead in high school, and was ase certified mech for a few years, but that was 30 years ago and i was a MOPAR fan. (still am, but can't afford them :D ) I am now getting back into this with my kids and want to stick with SBC platforms for cost and availability. they are teenagers with limited funds and i am making them put their money into it.

we did get heads - cast #333882, so i believe they are 350 heads. i did find a local guy who will check everything out -crank, block, and heads for $100. as long as everything checks out i want the kids to do as much of the work as possible. i've got (or have access to) most of the tools we would need except a cnc machine.

this forum has been great and i really appreciate everyone's help and making me look like smart to my kids :yes:
I am the same. I stoped being a mechanic around 1985 when they started putting computers in them, and didn't want to learn them. Now I wish I would have stayed with it and learned them as that is where the money is anymore. All 3 of my son's are into the older cars also, with Novas. I have and will always be a Chevy fan, even though I have a 69 Firebird, but it has all Chevy running gear. I also like all muscle cars.
Its great to get the kids into the older cars , thats whats going to keep the cars alive.
If you need anymore help, just ask

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I am the same. I stoped being a mechanic around 1985 when they started putting computers in them, and didn't want to learn them. Now I wish I would have stayed with it and learned them as that is where the money is anymore. All 3 of my son's are into the older cars also, with Novas. I have and will always be a Chevy fan, even though I have a 69 Firebird, but it has all Chevy running gear. I also like all muscle cars.
Its great to get the kids into the older cars , thats whats going to keep the cars alive.
If you need anymore help, just ask
i'm also just a huge muscle car fan as well. i've always liked chevys too, my dad had a 68 rs camaro but totaled it when i was a kid and we had a 78 z for a while. we have 4 now (all suburbans/trucks), plus the kids nova and camaro. i thought i wanted to be a mechanic out of high school, but found it to be much more fun as a hobby than a job.

we're getting each of our kids a car for their 14th bday but it has to be built before '85, and can't be running. so they have to put their own money and time into it, and hopefully learn a useful life skill.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts