Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering what size boxed channel to use.I ahve some that is 2x3 I think ( I am at work right now,pretty sure that is what it measures.Also wondering what you guys have used for wheels,I have some but am wondering if maybe they might be to small, as the car might go to the body shop in this mode.The car will be without the front clip for quite a while.
The car has homemade,welded in frame connectors. I am wondering if I could weld on another set of dollies by the spring pearches.I will probably replace the frame rails with a better looking set towards the end of the build. I will be replacing the full trunk pan (including the trunk to quarter fillers ) At least one full quarter panel and a skin for the other side and outer wheel wells.Rear tail light housings,rocker panels.I also have some frame rail work to do at the rear spring perches.New floor pans are already complete.

Thought I would give all of this info. so you guys can get a clear pic. of what would be the best way to tackle.
I do not want to use a rotisserie.
Body cart ?
Long winded I know. Appreciate your guys input !!

·
6,502 Posts
I made mine out of some steel tubing and some flat steel. I used casters for scaffolding but found out I needed all but one to swivel (one fixed/three swivel). At first I had two of the casters fixed so they wouldn't swivel to be able to move it around myself and have some control but I couldn't get the wheels to stay lined up and they would pidgoen toe in or out and made it hard to roll. When I had all 4 casters swivel it was impossible to steer and would drift where it wanted to. Now with one fixed caster it's a one man job to move the car around and be able to control where it goes.
I designed mine to bolt onto the car in spots using existing holes and decided on big diameter wheels so it would roll easier over things. I also have the casters to where I can unbolt them out of the tubing and have the car sit lower and not be on the casters.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/328498439/1328499669060464735hpGgrf#

http://community.webshots.com/photo/352164366/1371324649060464735YtBwLu#

http://hometown.aol.com/krystaldesigns/pageA27.html

Jim

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I assume you are talking 1st and 2nd gen, right ?!
Wagon or other? (The rear leaf shackle IS different !!)

I haven't recently published my website, but will in the next week or two, which has a bunch more picture and a rough sketch, but ....

I used 3x4 (???), but don't remember the thinkness and used 2 swivel and 2 non-swivel. I have rolled the car out into the driveway and back a couple of times and it seems to do quite well.

After adding some 2x2 supports to the rear, everything was much much more stable !!!

Here are a couple to glance at:

-BRent Thomas
Ohio

·
Premium Member
3,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks a lot for the help guys. I am at work right now and the server filters a lot of the pics. Pita at times.I will check when I get home.
Thanks again for the help !!

·
Premium Member
13,649 Posts
I got a pair of dock jacks, like the wheel jack for the front of a trailer but each is rated at 2000lbs. I plan on making a bracket to mount where the subframe would to attach to.

Then i should be able to crank them up and down and have large rubber wheeled casters for moving it around.

·
Premium Member
3,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks again guys. The car is a 65 two door post.Right now the shell less is sitting on four jack stands.I am eager to get the car more stable so I ( and my teo boys) can work safe.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts