Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced the Auto Transmission with a Muncie 4 Speed in my 1966 SS 327. I got the shifter and handle repop. Everything is working like it should making respectable Dyno numbers. My problem is I can not get the SS console to fit and the stick handle binds against the passengers side of the slider stopping the shifter from going into 3 n 4 gear. Any help would be appreciated. I owned a new 66 Nova SS in 1966 and the slider was never a problem. The picture shows the shifter in 1st gear. The console is as far to the passengers side as it will go.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,844 Posts
Just a couple of random thoughts:

Is the console original? Did you use brackets to install it, and a template for them? Never seen how a reproduction console fits, and with no factory mounts, it conceivably could be installed too offset.

If your picture shows 1st gear, I'd hate to think how 3-4 would be. I also know that the shift handle can't be installed 180 degrees wrong because of the reverse lock out...but could it have been manufactured wrong?

I know you had to buy the parts reproduction, and I have almost done it once, and would still. The parts are as rare as hen's teeth. But you are living in reproductionland, and sometimes things don't fit or aren't made as original, even when advertised. Maybe make some measurements on a known original SS, or compare shifter bends, or mark the exact location of the console in the car to figure out the problem. Perhaps a member with a genuine '66 SS 4-speed car can provide some numbers.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes it’s all repop except the shifter assembly. I don’t think any of the 4 speed Muncie shifters are different. The original shifter handles look slightly straighter than mine which would help. I haven’t mounted the console due to the shifting problem. The console was my final touch to have the L79 look- so it’s disappointing.

·
13,718 Posts
Have you acquired factory type brackets to mount your repop console? The positioning of the proper brackets is essential to making this console sit the way it should. Hard to tell from the picture, but it also appears to me that the console is too far left.

Bob

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The console is not fixed but is as far to passengers seat as it will go. I do have the factory mounting brackets but no use to install them until I get this problem figured out. Is it possible the 66 SS 4 Speed used some kind of special shifter assembly or attached to the transmission other than by direct mount?

·
13,718 Posts
The console is not fixed but is as far to passengers seat as it will go. I do have the factory mounting brackets but no use to install them until I get this problem figured out. Is it possible the 66 SS 4 Speed used some kind of special shifter assembly or attached to the transmission other than by direct mount?
Have you checked your 1966 Assembly Manual? M20 starts on page 260 and has detailed pics. It shows spacers between the transmission and the shifter bracket assembly.

Bob

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have not but that would make sense. I found a manual st a local show but some pages were missing and I did not see any transmission images so I passed on it. Thanks for the info???

·
Registered
106 Posts
Make sure that your shifter levers are not coming in contact with the hump underneath the car. It does not take much touching, especially if the adjustment on the levers is off a little.

Jerry in KY

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bob that’s the bench seat shifter. The console Bucket seat shifter is straight with slight curve not the big bend. I think there must be a special shifter mech but I’m not ruling out spacers. One thing I noticed on a 1967 Nova ss 4 Speed was that the shifter was mounted in the top forward and two underneath mounting holes. It seems to show 6 mounting holes whereas mine only has 5 three on top and two beneath . I had to mount my shifter in the center top and two underneath. Like I said before the Trans shifts without problem unless I set the console in place.

·
13,718 Posts
Bob that’s the bench seat shifter. The console Bucket seat shifter is straight with slight curve not the big bend. I think there must be a special shifter mech but I’m not ruling out spacers. One thing I noticed on a 1967 Nova ss 4 Speed was that the shifter was mounted in the top forward and two underneath mounting holes. It seems to show 6 mounting holes whereas mine only has 5 three on top and two beneath . I had to mount my shifter in the center top and two underneath. Like I said before the Trans shifts without problem unless I set the console in place.
The assembly manual pictures only show the curved shift handle for the M20 application, even though we know the console/bucket shift handle was different. Even the assembly manual pictures of the shifter coming out of the console show a curved handle. I think we can only assume the application is the same for both. Here is another page from the manual.

In 1967 the 4 speed was a Saginaw, not a Muncie and this may account for the mounting difference.

Bob

Attachments

·
Registered
134 Posts
I replaced the Auto Transmission with a Muncie 4 Speed in my 1966 SS 327. I got the shifter and handle repop. Everything is working like it should making respectable Dyno numbers. My problem is I can not get the SS console to fit and the stick handle binds against the passengers side of the slider stopping the shifter from going into 3 n 4 gear. Any help would be appreciated. I owned a new 66 Nova SS in 1966 and the slider was never a problem. The picture shows the shifter in 1st gear. The console is as far to the passengers side as it will go.
Did you remove the auto floor hump and replace it with a 4 speed floor hump?

Frank

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Frank I have not - do you think that would make a difference? There doesn’t seem to be a problem except for the console

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Bob I think you are correct. I see two major differences from my install. First the bracket with the spacers would move the handle over toward the driver that could be enough to let the handle go over to third gear. Where I would find that bracket is probably impossible so the local machine shop is going to be my best bet. Second the shifter in the drawing is in a straight up position due to the bracket holes rotating the shifter back about 30 degrees. This would shorten the throw between Reverse and 4th gear and would require less space. Unless some one has a better idea I think the bracket and spacers are the proper solution. When you think about why would the bench seat handle shifter and the console handle shifter be any different. I will let you know if this works. Thanks Bob this is invaluable help and has caused me a lot of sleepless nights.

·
13,718 Posts
Is the Muncie 4 speed that you installed for sure a '66? There was an almost total redesign after 1965.

Chevy By The Numbers indicates all 1966 Chevy II 4 speed applications were Muncie until the end of March, 1966. At that time, the 4 speed M20 Saginaw was also introduced, but seems was mostly used in 283 applications. Beginning with 1967 production, the M20 Chevy II applications were all Saginaw.

Bob

·
Registered
77 Posts
If you are still using the original auto. floor hump you will have to swap it out for a 4 speed hump if you want a factory look and proper fit for console.The 4 speed hump is mounted further forward.Carpets are also molded different between factory 4 speed hump and auto.I understand some repro 4 speed humps fit better then others?

·
Super Moderator
3,844 Posts
If you are still using the original auto. floor hump you will have to swap it out for a 4 speed hump if you want a factory look and proper fit for console.The 4 speed hump is mounted further forward.Carpets are also molded different between factory 4 speed hump and auto.I understand some repro 4 speed humps fit better then others?
Maybe not have to, but should, and the humps are not located in the same position. That hump will help locate the console and shifter and make the install look right. Let us all know what solves the problem when you get to the bottom of the cause.

·
Premium Member
3,721 Posts
Is the Muncie 4 speed that you installed for sure a '66? There was an almost total redesign after 1965.
Bob & Dave

I replied to Davejordan's other thread in this sub-forum. According to information that I have from Hurst, '65 and '66 Chevy IIs that have 4-speed Muncie transmissions are 7-bolt side-cover, 6-hole tail shaft housing units. I provided photos and notes in this thread:
https://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=657659

Chevy By The Numbers indicates all 1966 Chevy II 4 speed applications were Muncie until the end of March, 1966. At that time, the 4 speed M20 Saginaw was also introduced, but seems was mostly used in 283 applications. Beginning with 1967 production, the M20 Chevy II applications were all Saginaw.
L30 (327/275 HP) Chevy IIs built late in 1966 also had Saginaw 4-speeds.

Edit: Another interesting bit. When Hurst designed their CS-4-65-2 Competition Plus shifter kit for '65-'66 Chevy IIs and Novas, they included Part Number 4319 - a spacer that moves the shifter away from the body of the transmission. Not having re-installed a stock Chevrolet shifter in a Chevy II, I can't remember if there's anything like that in the original assembly, but I can tell you that the Hurst part is necessary for the shifter to be correctly positioned in the car. I've never measured the thickness of one of these spacers, but it's probably 1/4"+ thick.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts