Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello. I own a 1964 Chevy Nova II 400, 4 door, inline 6 cylinder. The body is in very good condition with the exception of a small area in the trunk. The paint is terrible with a lot of patina. The interior needs to be re-upholstered. I have a 327 that I want to drop in it. At the moment I have the 13 inch suspension. The 1964 Nova SS was the first year for the 283 which means the suspension was made to handle the extra weight of the eight cylinder. I am thinking that I would only have to change the spindles on the front end to the five lug (I am going to rebuild the front end but I think all the other parts are the same for the 6 & 8 cylinders?). I'm leaning towards disc front brakes. I have to replace the rear end and am thinking posi trac and a turbo 350 for the tranny. I am open to any and all advice Especially from those who have been here and know for sure what works. Thanks, Dan

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
:waving:Welcome from Wisconsin! :horse: Pics?

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
welcome to the nova site. there is lots of info to be found here. if your thinking of a 350 trans, why not install a 700r4 over drive tranny. it will still be like a 3 speed around town but that 4th gear on the highway will be nice with the lower rpm's. an running a 3.55 posi rear would be like 2200 rpm's. that 327 will be nice also.

·
Registered
1969 Nova . . 2dr . . Chino Valley,Az USA
4,934 Posts
Hi Dan ,

WELCOME To SNS .... good place too spend your time .....

jim
from Chino Valley, Arizona

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
If you change to disc brakes it will be difficult not to change to five lug brakes.That means five lug spindles, rotors, brackets for the calipers, calipers, five lug steering arms and a dual circuit master cylinder. Most kits include this stuff .If you're going oldish school Chevelle based kits have 11 inch rotors and D52 calipers and more stopping power,or kits have the G-body/S-10 brakes with smaller 10.5 inch rotors, smaller metric D154 calipers and a little less stopping power. You can go bigger rotors and later calipers but they need bigger wheels too. The answers to your questions are on this website, somebody has probably tried any combo you can think of.

·
Registered
393 Posts
welcome to the nova site. there is lots of info to be found here. if your thinking of a 350 trans, why not install a 700r4 over drive tranny. it will still be like a 3 speed around town but that 4th gear on the highway will be nice with the lower rpm's. an running a 3.55 posi rear would be like 2200 rpm's. that 327 will be nice also.

I second the 700R4 with a locking converter, running 3.36 gears though, sure makes the car a driver.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi I also live in ma Where are you located I have a complete cpp mini kit with disk brakes if you’re interested I just bought a TCI clip. I haven’t taken it apart yet.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts